Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites A unique problem

wilsonwuhon

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I will appreciate all the help I can get. Everyday I bring my piggy to my small deck, so I can pick some fresh dandelion for him. As I was coming back to the deck with dandelions, I realized there was a nugget size piece of wild dead animal body part just laying there. I'm not sure if my piggy touch it or not while I was gone. I'm concern if my piggy contracted some type of decease from it and when should I bring it to the vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no point in bringing it to the vet unless it gets sick. The vet can't tell whether or not your pig has contracted any disease, and so wouldn't know what medication to give. And antibiotics have their own major problems with pigs, so they're not given prophylactically. Just keep an eye on your pig, and if it seems sick, take it to the vet then.

wilsonwuhon

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice again bpatters. What signs should I look out for?

Thanks again

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The typical signs of sickness include sneezing, runny eyes/nose, failure to eat, sitting "puffed up," decreased amounts of poop, diarrhea, odor, lack of activity.

wilsonwuhon

Cavy Slave
The typical signs of sickness include sneezing, runny eyes/nose, failure to eat, sitting "puffed up," decreased amounts of poop, diarrhea, odor, lack of activity.

Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.