Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

Took in some pregnant pigs!

Hi everyone! Long time no see. I have a herd of female piggies who are doing amazing. I am also involved heavily in the local rescue here. Tonight they put out an urgent help needed due to a hoarding situation.

There were 43 animals living in a storage unit. 16 of these are guinea pigs. 8 of which are pregnant. I have taken in two of the pregnant sows.

I have them separate from my girls but the pregnant sows are together. One of them is heavily pregnant. I can see the pups moving and hear them. Is it dangerous to have her with the one who isn't as far along?

I've read lots of info a while back when I thought one of my girls was pregnant (rescued her that way). But she ended up losing the single pup. I'm going back to reading up and have all the pellets and hay they can eat and lots of water. They are on fleece and in a 2x5 baby proofed grid cage.

Tell me I'm not crazy for taking them on.

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

Re: Took in some pregnant pigs!

You're not crazy. They're lucky to have you.

If the sows are getting long ok at the moment, I'd leave them together. Most sows make great aunties, and will help clean up the pups when they're born. Once in a very great while we'll run into a cranky sow that doesn't like the pups or treat them well, but just keep an eye things to make sure they're going OK.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

Thanks @bpatters. They were in the same "tub" and are likely pregnant by the same male...
    So they've been together as long as anyone knows of.

My daughter named the black and white one Lisa
    The red one my son named Sprint.

I'm pretty sure one is in labor. Or really dang close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170802_200540.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	83015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15017192847762120071352.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	83016  

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts

Beautiful girls The babies will be gorgeous! Good luck! Let us know how it goes

6. "Thank you, CavyTV, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Bless your soul for taking in those girls! Like bpatters said, they are so lucky to have you! Although I have not personally experienced a pregnancy, I wish you best of luck with these girls! They are so gorgeous! I bet their little babies will be too! I love seeing little baby pictures! Maybe you could post them on this thread when they are born? Well whatever happens I wish you the best for your herd and the new girls!

8. "Thank you, GuineaPigglez, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

Thanks everyone! They are currently chomping away on pellets. They've both gotten some water and hopefully can rest easy now.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

The first litter is here. Lisa gave birth at 4:05 pm today. She welcomed four beautiful babies to the world. Everyone is doing amazing.

I'm pretty sure we have two boys and two girls but will keep checking.

Name:	IMG_20170803_161008.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	83018  

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts

Oh, they're so cute! I'm so glad the delivery went well! Are you planning on keeping any of them?

12. "Thank you, CavyTV, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

Well since we have a herd of all females we will not be keeping any males. I cannot take any chances of any pregnancies evem if they are kept in different cages. Accidents happen and mistakes are made but I want to be as safe as possible. As far as the girls it will depend on if I can find good homes for them. If I can't find anyone who meets my requirements then they will live here forever

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

@Kelsie in all reality if we cannot find homes for the males, I'm sure we would find a way to keep them too (likely neutering). But that's not my preference if I don't have to have them undergo the surgery.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

Also I'll be setting up C&C cages to go home with them in their new homes to make sure they have the right amount of space and will sew two cage liners for each cage.

16. "Thank you, new2piggs, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

Mom and babies are doing well! No one lost weight and one pup even ate hay today!! Sprint is still pregnant. Her pelvic bones are still touching.

Here are some pictures of the babies! I am in love with them!

Name:	IMG_20170804_140616.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	83029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170804_140533.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	83030  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170804_140454.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	83031   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170804_140431.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	83032  

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts

I agree they are very lucky to have someone like you! I can't imagine how terrible it would've been if they were left in that storage unit

I bet they're really soft! They look soft and tiny I wish I could have one! Guinea pigs are my weakness... especially the babies Hopefully, Sprint's delivery goes just as well and her pups are just as gorgeous as Lisa's (What guinea pig isn't gorgeous!?)!

19. "Thank you, CavyTV, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

Thanks @Kelsie and @CavyTV. The pups have already won over everyone in my house. Lisa is a great mom. The woman who had them all called the shelter and asked for the pups back because she had a waiting list for them !!! That makes me so sad. I'm scared to even attempt to re-home them to anyone I don't know personally now because they may have been doing business with this woman .

The woman did tell the shelter that Sprint is over a year old and has never had a pup survive. So that scares me. I'll probably be sleeping next to the cage until she gives birth.

The awful person who bred them also specifically wanted the Abby's and teddies back cause "she could get more for them".

Ugh.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts

Oh... I'm so sorry to hear that. That sucks. Are you sure there's no way you can keep them? I'd hate it too if I were you, giving away those precious piggies to complete strangers who probably don't even know how to properly care for them... Wow. What a terrible person that breeder is.

22. "Thank you, CavyTV, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

@CavyTV. I have a home lined up with a great family that I've known for 6 years and they have promised that they will give them back to me if they decide they can't keep them. But that's just for the two boys right now.

I may end up with the girls. We will see. I have a 70 SQ foot cage for the herd right now.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    924 Rec'd/712 Posts

You are a cavy hero for taking on such a challenge, @new2piggs. They truly needed and are so very, very lucky to have had you come along at just the right time. Fantastic job looking after them, and congratulations on such beautiful baby piggies. Fingers crossed that Sprint and her baby (or babies) come through everything well.

Thank you for taking them in and taking on such a task. My thoughts, and my herds wheeks and grumbles are with you through all of this!

25. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts

@Kelsie apparently she made her living breeding rats and guinea pigs. . The rats were in much worse shape than the guinea pigs and fortunately a rat rescue stepped in for them.

Thank you so much @Guinea Pig Papa for the kind words. I'm hopeful that Sprint will do alright. Her pelvic bones seem to be separating a bit so labor should be in a few days I would guess. If not for my cats she'd be sleeping next to my bed haha

I have an excellent cavy savy vet who has performed c sections before and I've had a lengthy discussion with her on the warning signs to look for that sprint may need help.

She's still eating a ton and loves to be held. I know they say not to handle the pigs too much so close to labor but she is crying to be held. She wants all the affection I will give. She's also been badly barbered and obviously overcrowded as her ears have been chewed

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    924 Rec'd/712 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by new2piggs View Post
    @Kelsie apparently she made her living breeding rats and guinea pigs. . The rats were in much worse shape than the guinea pigs and fortunately a rat rescue stepped in for them.

Thank you so much @Guinea Pig Papa for the kind words. I'm hopeful that Sprint will do alright. Her pelvic bones seem to be separating a bit so labor should be in a few days I would guess. If not for my cats she'd be sleeping next to my bed haha

I have an excellent cavy savy vet who has performed c sections before and I've had a lengthy discussion with her on the warning signs to look for that sprint may need help.

She's still eating a ton and loves to be held. I know they say not to handle the pigs too much so close to labor but she is crying to be held. She wants all the affection I will give. She's also been badly barbered and obviously overcrowded as her ears have been chewed
    Poor little girl, she just wants as much attention and love as she can get. She's probably uncomfortable, sore, and scared. The warmth of you holding her is probably helping her out feeling a little better, too.

28. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/37 Posts

I love rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits the most but honestly I love all animals. I feel if people are harming even wild rodents... sigh. I use live traps and go to the woods for release. I don't like snakes either but I won't kill them. I call my sister and she takes them and releases them for me. I wish I could do that for bugs but I just can't. Unless they are large beatles like rhino or hurcules. I scoop those up and put them outside because I don't see them often.

i love the little dark one with the tiny stripe on his nose as well. Does that one have two colors in it's fur? I hope both boys (if they are just two) go to the same home. Or is it bad to have brother boars togeather that young when they mature?

30. "Thank you, Shieme, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List