Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Accidentally Pregnant!

Caroline12

Cavy Gazer
I got a male guinea pig named Nugget from my moms friend and later got another male named Boo from a petstore. Nugget seemed to be gaining weight and I could see and feel babies moving inside of them. We took Nugget to the vet and found out hes a she and is pregnant with 4 pups. We separated Boo and Nugget last week. We are feeding her alfalfa and timothy hay everyday as well as fresh fruits or vegetables. She seems to be lying down a lot with her legs separated. I will attach pictures as soon as I figure how to. I would appreciate tips for labor, birth, and caring for the pups. And baby names would be nice. Thank you!lol

Caroline12

Cavy Gazer
I've checked her today and her pelvic bones are separated about a 2 and a half finger wide. Does that mean the babies are coming soon?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you read that link I gave you? That answers the question.

Caroline12

Cavy Gazer
Yeah thanks!

This morning at around 6:30am Nugget gave birth to 4 healthy babies. Shes been doing well. When can I hold them? I got a scale to weigh them but I don't want the mother to ignore them. I've scheduled a appointment at an exotic animal vet in 2 weeks to figure out their genders. I'm so happy! They're all so cute!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The mother's not going to ignore them. You can weigh them anytime, and in fact, you should weigh daily for the first few days to make sure they're thriving. They'll lose a little the first day or so, like all newborns, but should start gaining then.

You may or may not need a vet to sex them. See https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm for help. You can also post pictures on her and people can offer their opinions. Just make sure the pictures are well-lit close-ups -- dark, fuzzy, distant ones won't be of any use.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.