Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Mixed signals

piggdaddy

Cavy Slave
So I've been working on bonding with my pigs (although my girlfriend can make it hard at times) and while I'm not sure ant if then particularly like lap time or being petted, (they're kinda fidgety in my lap unless they're eating) one of them, Edgar will squeak when I try to pick him up from my lap to put him back. He doesn't do this when being taken from the cage, only when he's been on my lap and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad squeak. Does anyone know what could be the case?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
One of my boys squeaks whenever I pick him up. To me, it sounds like a call for help. I'm working with him everyday, meaning I'm hand feeding him as much as I can and I'm giving him at least 5 minutes of lap time everyday. He's getting better with the lap time; he used to only be able to sit for 2-3 minutes before deciding he could jump off my lap and escape :crazy: Now, he sleeps on my lap for a good 10-15 minutes..... and then pees without warning.

If they're fidgety, it could be 2 things:

-They are not used to being on your lap/petted as much and they are still getting used to it. Just keep doing what you're doing and keep offering plenty of food as the best way to a guinea pig's heart is through its stomach!

-It's just their personality. The pig of mine that squeaks when being picked up isn't really fond of me petting him in the cage; during lap time he's alright sometimes... once he was on my lap and he laid down every time I pet him. WHen I petted his head he closed his eyes :) The point is, except your piggies for who they are! Yes, I know, we want our pigs to love us and cuddle up to us but it takes a lot of time and patience. Just be happy with the pigs you have now. The longer you have them and the more patient you are with them, the more they'll open up to you. All piggies are different, just like humans!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know what could be the case?

Not a clue. As I often tell prospective patients, I don't do a "drive-by" diagnosis.

Always remember that cavies are as different as we humans are. Keep in mind that your boys are young (?) and probably haven't been handled that much by anyone. It can take days, weeks, or years for them to be able to relax their vigilance and fully trust their humans. They are prey animals and it is in their nature to be wary.

Guinea pigs are uncomfortable when their feet aren't supported. Pick them up with one hand around their chest under the front legs and the other supporting their bum and back legs. Have their back to the cage when returning them. They may get excited and jump toward the cage. Many a piggy has landed on the floor with subsequent injuries. You may be doing this absolutely correctly, but perhaps someone else who isn't may read this and prevent a fall.

My boys are VERY vocal and will almost always make a sound when being picked up. Sparky has a wide variety of vocalizations that have different meanings depending on the situation.

If your boys are quite young, they probably won't be able to sit in your lap for extended periods of time due to toilet needs. Most will give clear signals as to needing/wanting to return to the cage. We tried always honor their request to go home even if it was a false alarm. If they don't give signals, then be consistent in what you use as a pad for lap time so that they associate that with permission to relieve themselves. As an example, we use white towels at our house and when they begin to wear, they become piggy towels (white can be bleached). The boys know that they can relax when on a towel and don't attempt to run around much.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is to be very consistent in the way you deal with them, Be predictable, patient, and gentle and they will come around.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know what could be the case?

Not a clue. As I often tell prospective patients, I don't do a "drive-by" diagnosis.

Always remember that cavies are as different as we humans are. Keep in mind that your boys are young (?) and probably haven't been handled that much by anyone. It can take days, weeks, or years for them to be able to relax their vigilance and fully trust their humans. They are prey animals and it is in their nature to be wary.

Guinea pigs are uncomfortable when their feet aren't supported. Pick them up with one hand around their chest under their front legs and the other supporting their bum and back legs. Have their back to the cage when returning them. They may get excited and jump toward the cage. Many a piggy has landed on the floor with subsequent injuries. You may be doing this absolutely correctly, but perhaps someone else who isn't may read this and prevent a fall.

My boys are VERY vocal and will almost always make a sound when being picked up. Sparky has a wide variety of vocalizations that have different meanings depending on the situation.

If your boys are quite young, they probably won't be able to sit in your lap for extended periods of time due to toilet needs. Most will give clear signals as to needing/wanting to return to the cage. We tried always honor their request to go home even if it was a false alarm. If they don't give signals, then be consistent in what you use as a pad for lap time so that they associate that with permission to relieve themselves. As an example, we use white towels at our house and when they begin to wear, they become piggy towels (white can be bleached). The boys know that they can relax when on a towel and don't attempt to run around much.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is to be very consistent in the way you deal with them, Be predictable, patient, and gentle and they will come around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.