Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy How can I keep a single piggy as happy as possible?

LavaCakez

Cavy Slave
My parents said they would get a second one soon after we got my guinea pig, but it turns out they lied, and they won't let me give her up for adoption either. No matter how many educational essays, videos, and slideshows I show them, they keep refusing, saying that I need to prove that I'm a responsible owner.

They've continued to say this for two years. I do all the cage cleaning, feeding, and let her out for floor time 2-3 hours a day. She is in my room next to my desk, and I'm doing online school, so I'm almost always there for her. She's not showing any signs of loneliness or depression; she's acting perfectly normal. So at least there's that...? Even so, I know she'd do better with a buddy. It hurts so much to think about how lonely she might be feeling.

I don't know what else I can do. It's clear they aren't letting me get a second until I move out; Mom has even said so. Until then, how can I keep my guinea pig as happy as possible without a friend?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry to hear that. It sounds like you know how important having a second guinea pig is and that's wonderful. Have you told your parents that it's actually illegal to own only one guinea pig is Switzerland? Do your parents understand the importance of guinea pig companionship, or they don't and that's why they won't let you have one? Have you offered to pay for another one yourself? It's unfortunate... you've been fully caring for your guinea pig for two whole years and they still think you're not a responsible owner.

Well...if nothing else works then I guess you'll just have to wait until you move out. In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing. Try to interact with her as much as you can.

Keep in mind that once you do move out and you're able to adopt another piggie, you'll need to get a bigger cage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are housing your guinea pig in a pet store cage. Unfortunately, those cages are way too small and are not recommended. See the main page of this site for cage size standards and why it's important for piggies to have a lot of room. The most popular guinea pig cage is the C&C cage I believe....it's cheap, expandable/adjustable, easy to clean, and easy to make. There are hundreds of cage pictures in the Photo Galleries that are likely to inspire you. The only pet store cage that's okay, but only for 2 females, is the Midwest cage. However, IMHO, I think you can easily get a much larger C&C cage for less. Bigger is always better. Go as big as you can.

Good luck :)

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
Just curious, how do you let the pig have floor time for so long without her peeing and pooping all over your room? I'd like to let our pigs roam a little, but they chew on the furniture and pee/poop everywhere!

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Set up a playpen. Include a litterbox with hay. If they poop and pee randomly, the best you can do is just put some towels and/or blankets on the floor.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Sometimes just being in the room makes a only pig happy. Till I get my second, Shiemi is just happy I'm staring at her. She wheeks when I leave the room. I was only going to have a single piggie till my mom needed my help. Now Shiemi has gotten depressed. Believe me, you can tell when they are depressed. I'm hoping when I get the second piggie, she'll get more active again. She doesn't popcorn or zoom like she use to. I still believe one piggie can be happy (with a lot of your time devoted to one) but it bites that your parents won't budge.

ryliem

Cavy Slave
Hi, I was in a similar spot a couple months ago. I am homeschooled, so I am always home and I found that holding my guinea pig while doing my school work made him really happy until he wanted down, then I would put him in the play pen next to me. He was happy to be close to me, out of the cage, and in a different room.

I got a second pig a couple months later after I saved up enough money to buy another GP, all the stuff he would need, and enough money to pay for two vet bills. (It's a lot, I know) I didn't ask them until I had all the money, because I knew they would throw it in my face that they would be buying everything. In my experience if you show them that you are going up to them with money in your hand instead of empty promises to pay them back they took me more seriously.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.