Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting WORRIED!! Possible fighting ... Wet Cheek, is it blood?

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi,

I have two female guinea pigs that are approximately 2 1/2 months old. However, they are really small so I'm not certain of their age. They are about the size of my hand, from my wrist to then end of my middle finger. They were living together when I got them. I've had them since July 7th, 2017. I just noticed that one of my guinea pigs cheek fur is very wet. If the fur on her cheek is very wet (thick!), is that blood? My finger didn't turn red when I touched it but I've never seen her cheek so wet before. What else would cause her fur near her cheek to be so wet? I picked her up and checked her out ... I don't see a scratch. However, she is Abyssinian or Peruvian and her long fur makes it hard to tell. This morning, I also heard a high pitched squeal from one of my girls. I've never heard anything that loud from the girls before. It definitely wasn't a "please feed me" sound. I was in the other room so I didn't actually see anything. I did examine both girls and they looked fine. My other guinea pig looks like she might be missing fur exactly where her "sister" pushes her, but there is no scratch. The fur might just be sticking up. I have observed a lot of: rumble-strutting, chasing, mounting, etc. I also noticed lots of "tender-looking" barbering. I haven't been able to figure out which one is the dominant one which makes me even more worried because I really don't want to separate them. If they were 2 and half when I got them, one could be entering adolescence now. OH NO!!

I feel dumb for asking what blood looks like on a guinea pig, but I'd rather be safe than sorry... I've only ever seen a scratch on a nose.

- Helena

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hello? Is it red? If so, it's probably blood. If it's not, it's not.

Calm down. Sows that young are extremely unlikely to cause damage to each other.

Are you positive they're both sows? You've turned them over and compared their pertinent parts?

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Her fur is dark brown, so it was difficult for me to tell. However, I didn't see fur anywhere. I haven't witnessed teeth-chattering or teeth-showing. Moreover, these girls just told me the same thing that you are saying, "Calm down". How did they express that? They are currently sharing the same corner - sleeping. A whole cage, and they are right next to each other. Super -cute! It was just that super high - pitched squeal this morning that freaked me out. Maybe she just pop-corned and her fur got soaked in pee? :?:

In addition, I confess that they are in a cage that is too small. I started putting together a medium sized C & C cage today. However, the grids are too big. I think one of my girls could probably squeeze through, or get stuck trying. So, I need to order more grids. They will definitely get hours of "floor" time in the C & C cage tomorrow. They need it. They just don't have enough room to do their "zoomies" (zoom-zooms!).

I have many more questions, but that's it for tonight ...

Thanks Bpatters! :)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
There are only really four things that could have made her cheek wet, blood, water, urine, or fluid from the eye.

If it was water she may have just pushed her face against the water bottle nozzle. If it was fluid from the eye she could have a blocked tear duct or hay poke. If it was urine she may have just annoyed her cage mate and gotten sprayed in the face. If it was blood it would be red or brown if you rub the area with a damp tissue or cloth, in which case she must have a cut somewhere.

Last edited:

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
To baby-proof the C&C, just make the coroplast walls extra high. If that's not possible, get some fleece that will cover the cage and wrap around the grid walls.

How small is your cage? Is the C&C cage only for floor time? It can be a permanent cage and should be if the other cage is really small. Or, you could somehow connect the smaller cage with the C&C if you'd like. That way they can come out whenever they want. Guinea pigs like to exercise around their own "body clock", so having you decide when it's floor time isn't really best. They may decide to nap or eat during floor time, rather than getting some exercise.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
UPDATE: Her fur, slightly below her nose and to the left of her mouth, is still a little bit wet. It's been over 12 hours. If it were water or urine, wouldn't it be dry by now? Her eyes are fine. I can't really tell if any fur is missing because her fur is wet. I did notice that some white fur near that wet area is a little bit yellow. Is she just sleeping in her urine? Should I be worried?
PS - Thanks Soecara for the response. It is very much appreciated! :)

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Absolutely correct and thank - you for the great idea! Why didn't I think of that? Ugh. I'm more sleep - deprived than I realized. I still have to go buy some clips to keep fleece in place, but that would solve my problem. Yay! Their C & C cage will definitely be their permanent home. As you said, they like to exercise around their own "body clock". I am currently feeling very tired because they love "to play" the most as soon as I turn off all the lights (around 11 pm). I keep the light on from my bathroom and spy on them! lol They are just so darn cute ... I don't want to miss a thing. I love all the "zoomies" and "popcorning". They move so fast! Thank - you very much, CavyTV. :D

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear.

My boys also love to keep me awake at night with their activity...wheeking for me, demanding food.. (while I'm trying to SLEEP, mind you!) running around and popcorning like mad! lol They do all sorts of shenanigans... smh. And, of course, when I'm awake during the day they're quiet... It's like they don't wanna let me sleep :crazy:

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
You're too funny. It's a plot. Maybe I should just surrender? They have moved in and taken over. I should move out and let them take over ...

As for that wet fur, I think my girl just had a "wet beard" from her water bottle because she turns her head a lot and the water bottle does touch that spot that was wet. Mystery solved! :)

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
If you really think its not anything normal I would cut or shave the fur in that particular area to make sure there is nothing abnormal. It seems like she most likely got sprayed with urine by the other pig. This may have caused the loud wail you heard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.