Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Grass for Guinea Pig Question

Colalatte

Cavy Gazer
Hello! So i guess this is my first post on this forum. This was just a question, so we went to Walmart to get hay and they were all out, so my pigs are gonna eat grass for today, and we're gonna go back tomorrow. I picked tons of grass from my front yard, (no pesticides were used in it) and then I put it in their cage, i watched them eat it and noticed a not too big not too small black beetle with no pinchers, but it crawled around and I crushed it, threw it away. But I can not watch them eat all day, to make sure there are no more, but the question is, if there are any more bugs, will they harm my pigs? And what if one of my pigs eats a bug? Will they be okay?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not nearly as worried about the beetle as I am about the fact that you gave them a lot of fresh green grass all at once. That can cause MAJOR digestive upsets, including bloat, and may risk the life of the pig. NEVER give a pig more than a small amount of grass when first starting out, and then increase it by small amounts every two or three days until you've gotten them to the amount that they'll be given every day.

Watch your pigs VERY carefully tonight, paying attention to whether you hear gurgling sounds in their stomachs. If you do, immediately give them infant simethicone (1/4 of an infant dose) every four hours or so. If they develop diarrhea, get them to a good exotic vet ASAP.

Colalatte

Cavy Gazer
They have had grass in the past before it isn't the first time they ran out of hay and I couldn't get hay that day so I gave them some grass, and I never heard any odd noises and they were
perfectly fine after eating grass. But my question in the post was if the pigs ate a bug would they be fine ?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably.

But you need to plan better about the hay. It's the most important thing in their diet, and they should never be without it.

Colalatte

Cavy Gazer
It's not like they are going a week without it, they are getting it tomorrow morning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.