Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Is pine safe for my guinea pigs too use one month

TBSam

Cavy Slave
my moms recently used lots of money for home renovations and she dosent wanna get the normal paper bedding and aspen she said this pine bedding will be ok for them for one month and im going to vacation for one month, my moms freind is gunna be taking care of them but is it safe cause i know freinds that have guinea pigs they are pretty poor and pine is the only thing they can afford and they are really healthy the guinea pigs so idk you guys are the experts reply quick

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Kiln dried pine should do in a pinch, but if it has a strong pine odor, I wouldn't use it. But aspen shavings aren't expensive, and are much safer.

TBSam

Cavy Slave
aw man air dried :< also strong pine odor :( i usally use aspen but idk whats gotten into her saying pine is ok for one month no worries the more i try the more she dosent want to get aspen she said i dont care if aspen is like 3 dollers more, we recently did pay alot for a flight and home renovations so i see her point any way to convince her plssss they are trying out pine rn and they dont seem to care about the smell but after the vacation we are going back to aspen oh and anywhere i can find cheap care fresh bedding? thanks!

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
You could try looking on Kijiji. I often see people with extra guinea pig items that they don't want/need anymore, including bedding. Actually, it's more common to find owners who use paper/wood shaving bedding than fleece bedding. And you can try the fleece bedding option for a month too. Just put down a towel with a fleece blanket on top. You can also add extra newspapers under the fleece where they seem to go to the bathroom a lot. You can get some pretty cheap fleece from Walmart. I got mine there on sale for $3.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.