Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay More Moldy Hay!!

jamie92

Cavy Slave
So long story short - I had extremely moldy KMS hay recently, like half of the box at least. I tossed out the hay, had terrible customer service from them and decided to buy from Small pet select. Everything was great, hay was much better, smelled great, until last night when I smelled the mold smell again! I sorted through the box separately by smell (yes really) and it took me a while, but I found it. So now I guess I will contact them? Has anyone else had a problem and know what they do for it? I just want to know do I need to throw all of the hay out? The last box I did because it was so much of it, but I hate to throw away another whole box (but will if I have to obviously). I've never had mold in any of my hay in the last 5 years so I'm frustrated that this keeps happening-hay isn't cheap!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How are you storing the hay? Most of the time, it's in a plastic bag inside the box. You need to get it out of the plastic bag, and then punch a LOT of holes in the side of the cardboard box so it can breathe.

jamie92

Cavy Slave
It just came in the cardboard box, no plastic bag. I've been storing it in that with the box cracked open a good amount. Next time I will punch holes in the side as well. I just sent them an email so hopefully they'll be able to do something.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most companies will make some adjustment if you send pictures documenting how big the problem is.

But do be aware that hay processing is a totally mechanized process, and nobody sees what goes in the bales/boxes/whatever. If part of your hay was wet for some reason, maybe a mud puddle in that area, it could easily have mold.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I can empathize......I too have had bad service from KMS. They seemingly have never heard that "the customer is always right". Don't toss out bad hay. Hay is an excellent mulch in a garden.....I pack used hay (poops and all) around the base of my tomato plants.

jamie92

Cavy Slave
Most companies will make some adjustment if you send pictures documenting how big the problem is.

But do be aware that hay processing is a totally mechanized process, and nobody sees what goes in the bales/boxes/whatever. If part of your hay was wet for some reason, maybe a mud puddle in that area, it could easily have mold.

They got back to me very quickly and offered to send a replacement! Very happy with the service. As far as what to do in the mean time I'm not really sure what to give her. I sorted out the stuff that looks unaffected, mostly from the other side of the box, and have really sifted through it before putting it in the hay rack. There's nothing noticeable on it, but I know the spores can travel or however that works- and I think I'm losing my sense of smell to it at this point! I can tell any parts that are really stinky and those are all removed. Is it ok to feed until the replacement comes or is it dangerous? Should be here by the end of the week I hope. Or do I need to take a trip to the pet store? I really hate doing that because the pet store that sells any good hay is very bad and I don't like to give them any money unless absolutely necessary-she also is not a big fan of any of the kinds I get.

jamie92

Cavy Slave
I can empathize......I too have had bad service from KMS. They seemingly have never heard that "the customer is always right". Don't toss out bad hay. Hay is an excellent mulch in a garden.....I pack used hay (poops and all) around the base of my tomato plants.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I refuse to order from them again after it. The hay is nothing like it was a few years ago anyway! I had been ordering from there since I got my piggies almost 6 years ago now so I was especially annoyed. I had a larger box because I had my two piggies at the time, however Panda passed away during that time so I didn't get down in the box as soon as usual. I told them that was more than half of the box and the whole bottom was moldy. The whole exchange was extremely rude on their part. I was told that 'sometimes that happens, it should be less than 5 pounds that is affected, and that I should remove the moldy clump and use the rest of the hay.' She told me the policy was usually to ship the hay back to them at my expense for a refund (shipping is like 3 times the price of the hay so I would never do that anyway), and why do I need to return it? So they can resell it? I don't think so. She finally refunded me just $10 and told me I took too long to use the hay. To which I had to say one of my pigs passed away and told her I would take my business elsewhere. I cried I was so annoyed and upset about the whole thing! Sorry for the rant! Feels good to get it out!

Small Pet Select was so fast with their reply and offered a replacement or a refund of the full amount. And also mentioned to toss the hay as they can't resell it. Now that is excellent customer service!!!

And yes I will see if my mom wants it for her garden! She has a ton of tomato plants!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.