Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Is my pellet good for my piggy?

sselenkurtulus

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone, i have a year old piggy and he's eating too much. I adopted him a month ago so i don't have much information about what i'm doing wrong or right. I'm trying to do best for my piggy.

Vitakraft premium menu i bought. Do you recommend this pellets?

Attachments

IMG_7890.JPG

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, Vitakraft pellets are terrible. Pellets should be just plain hay, no nuts, seeds or colored bits included.

Second, how do you know he's eating too much? What exactly is his diet like? How much hay? How many pellets? How many veggies?

Pigs should NEVER be without hay. It's the most important thing in their diets.

Adult pigs should be limited to 1/8 cup of pellets per day.

And pigs should have a varied veggie diet that should definitely include red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers, as well as other veggies.

sselenkurtulus

Cavy Gazer
My vet told that he's maybe overweight piggy. He is 1.5 kilogram. Of course pellets is not just his diet. Hay is always being in his living area with pellets. And i give him twice a day veggies including red pepper, dill, cucumber, parsley, lettuce, carrot. And i giving him two times a week dry alfalfa.
Which pellets do you advice for my piggy?

sselenkurtulus

Cavy Gazer
Thank you, i'll check :) and learn.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If your pig is overweight, he's not getting enough exercise. Consider giving him a larger cage and a friend to run around with.

We recommend timothy pellets for pigs over 6 months old. KMS or Oxbow are good pellets.

KMS are only available online at: https://kms-hayloft.myshopify.com

Since you said he's one year old, he doesn't need dry alfalfa.

Edit to add:
For pigs older than 6 months, you should be giving only 1/8 cups of pellets per day.

See this page for the benefits of larger cage.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/

Last edited:

sselenkurtulus

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your help, i'll look for those pellets in my country, i hope i can find. Do you think my pig is overweight?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your pig is at the upper end of what a normal guinea pig should weigh. Depending on his bone structure, he may or may not be overweight. Cutting out the alfalfa may help, and cutting the pellets back to two tablespoons per day should also slowly take some of the weight off.

I'd also cut out the dill and the parsley. Herbs are high in calcium, which can contribute to painful, expensive bladder stones.

I'm assuming you're in Turkey, or somewhere close. You can't get KMS Hayloft pellets there, but you might be able to find Oxbow. Look at https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/ and see if you can find a store locator, or email them and ask where the closest place to you is that sells them.

sselenkurtulus

Cavy Gazer
okay, i will cut dill and parsley, he loves both of them, this will be hard :D thank you for your advices.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.