Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly pregnant Piggy, vet didn't take me seriously, input appreciated

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Possibly pregnant Piggy, vet didn't take me seriously, input appreciated

I will start out by saying that two weeks ago, we got two guinea Pigs from Petsmart. Two weeks ago, I knew nothing about guinea Pigs. In these past two weeks, my husband and I have spent a great amount of time learning about these wonderful animals. Knowing what I know now, I will never spend a dime at any pet store that sells live animals. We have these little creatures now and we love them. We have completely rearranged our home to fit two Midwest habitats and also have an exercise area for them as well. So I'm convinced one of my piggies is pregnant. She is a pear-shaped, she's gaining weight(such as 60-70 grams ina single week alone), and we feel a ton of movement from these "lumps" in her belly. We took her to a vet that sees exotic animals. I wanted them to do an ultrasound. The vet palpated her stomach, very hard, I might add, and the vet tech, who said she has bred her guinea Pigs(which should've been a clue that they don't know what's best for guinea Pigs) said she doesn't think she's pregnant. The vet said the movement we're feeling is her food moving through her GI tract. They also said her weight gain is normal for young guinea pigs. From what I understand, the average weight gain for young cavies in a week is 20-40 grams, not 70. Vet and vet tech said they think it's bloat or gas, which they said an ultrasound wouldn't be able to pick up on, but an X-ray could. They said to bring her back in a week if her belly hasn't gotten smaller. Here's the thing: I don't believe that this vet is Cavy-savvy at all, because if she was and truly though the issues was bloat, she would realize that bloat can be fatal in guinea Pigs and would've done more to confirm that diagnosis and treat it if that were the case. She also failed to ask about her eating habits and her poop, which bloat would affect. She could be a dead in a week if it were bloat. Luckily I don't think it is, because she's eating and drinking fine, doesn't seem to be in any pain at all, and her poop is completely normal, and so is the frequency of her poop. This vet could've done an X-ray and could've confirmed either of those diagnoses. Oh yeah and she lost tons of credibility in my eyes because she said you can give them yogurt for the probiotics(I'll stick with the bene-bac) and said that guinea Pigs can start getting pregnant at 3-4 months old(umm try 4 weeks old). So as of now, we're taking precautions as if she were pregnant until we find out otherwise. We're also taking her to another vet this week, where I will be insisting on diagnostic testing of some sort. So basically I would like input on how to handle this. What test should I insist that they perform? What should I do in general, such as any advice? Because we're feeling bodies moving within her, I'm thinking she's 10-15 days away from delivering. Also we have her in a large cage right now, but it's still not the size she should be in, we finally got out Midwest cages delivered and I want to put her in it but I'm afraid that the change in her environment will stress her out, but then again, being a cage that is too small probably already stresses her out. Should I go ahead with the switch or should I hold off and ask the (hopefully Cavy-savvy) vet what we should do? Thanks in advance for all input!!
    Last edited by RosieAndDaisy; 07-16-17 at 01:25 pm. Reason: Added a couple sentencing I forgot to add the first time, spelling mistakes

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Possibly pregnant Piggy, vet didn't take me seriously, input appreciated

Do you have any pictures?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Defiantly go ahead with the bigger cage more space shouldn't stress her.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,225 Rec'd/5,755 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3790 Post(s)

You don't really need a definitive diagnosis. A pregnant sow needs the same food as a pup -- high quality pellets and hay, good veggies, some extra calcium because she's no doubt very young (parsley and kale will be fine), and some extra vitamin C.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she.

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes definitely feeding her well. She's had Oxbow Alfalfa pellets since we got her, as well as Oxbow Alfalfa hay and Timothy hay. She get fresh veggies 3 times a day. I've been getting all my info from Guinea Lynx. She has a URI and I took her to the vet over a week ago, so she's on Bactrim, also been supplementing that with bene-bac and I have critical care on hand, plus I weight her every day because she's getting over being sick. Thanks for the input, we went ahead and set up the larger cage and put her in it. I think the only reason we wanted a definitive diagnosis is because it could be bloat, I guess, and we were more afraid of that than the pregnancy.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll try and get one of her from the top of the cage, she's a quick little thing

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ack sorry I misread I think switching the cage wouldnt hurt

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's a view of my Rosie girl from above
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5157.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	82870  

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's official. We have a pregnant pig. We found a wonderful vet and she did an ultrasound, confirming what I had thought all along. She is about one month pregnant with two babies. We will be baby-proofing her cage and educating ourselves further about what to look for and what to do in case of emergency. Thanks so much for the input and I'll definitely post updates and pics as we go along.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Congratulations on finding a better vet. I just wanted to add that you should double check that your other pig is female, just in case she is actually the father! http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm Here's a good guide.

After you have a big enough cage, if your other pig is confirmed to be female, it's safe to keep her together with the pregnant one- she'll likely make an excellent auntie. If she's a male, separate them now, since sows can get pregnant again immediately after birth or miscarriage and it's very hard on them.

Best wishes!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh definitely. She was pregnant when we got her, as the other one we got has never been in the same cage together. We're also bringing the other one to the vet to confirm her sex as well.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a bit of an update on Mama to be, Rosie. I'm pretty sure she is close to having her babies. She's gotten huge, babies are very active as we can SEE them moving in her belly, her pelvic bones have started to separate, and she's getting more and more tired. We had a divider in her cage that separated the play/sleep area from the eating area, but I noticed that she would just sleep under the ramp in the eating area in order to be closer to her food and water, so I took it out and put her pigloo right next to the eating area. I also baby-proofed the cage with cardboard and sheets on the outside so as to help prevent drafts. so as of now, we're on stand-by. Emergency vet number saved, carrier and vet records ready and I'll be sleeping in the living room just to keep an ear/eye out for any problems.

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

My best wishes for Rosie that she has an easy labor and delivery. I'll be anxiously waiting to see pictures of the new babies.

15. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    590 Rec'd/477 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    My best wishes for Rosie that she has an easy labor and delivery. I'll be anxiously waiting to see pictures of the new babies.
    I'll second that. Here's hoping everything goes perfectly and Mama and babies turn out just perfect.

17. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok we have babies!!!! After dinner, my Son and I were cleaninghis room. My husband went over to check on little Miss Rosie and he exclaimed "Oh my God, the babies!! They're here!!" We completely missed the birth. Lol He was so excited, so the whole family(myself, my Son, my Mom and Mother-in-Law) came to catch a glimpse of the little ones.

She had two babies, one is all white (worried a bit about possibly being a lethal, but for now, it seems like he/she can see fairly well, I've read so much about lethals that I'm still worried, especially since I have no idea who the father was), and the other one looks like Mama, with brown, black and white.

So far Mom seems to be doing well, as are babies too. All three are moving around but also huddling together in the pigloo. There was very very minimal blood, like maybe one or two pieces of the Carefresh bedding had some blood on it so that's a good sign.

We'll be weighing everyone a little later tonight so I'll take pictures then and be sure to post them. I'm not sure how to on this forum, as last time I had to email the pictures of Rosie to Lynx and she posted them for me. Would I have to do the same again? Also does anyone have more info on lethals? Maybe like how to possible tell? We will be taking them to the vet at about 2 weeks so we can have them correctly sexed. Thanks guys!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    501 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

To upload an image click on this icon in the section where you type to post a reply, it is the third to last icon.
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  7.9 KB
    That will bring up a box that looks like this
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  22.9 KB
    On that box you can click the tab that says from computer. There you will be able to hit the button on the bottom that says "select files" to chose images from your computer. Once you have selected all the images you want hit the upload images button.

If that uploader doesn't work then you can hit the text in the bottom right corner that says "basic uploader". The basic uploader works pretty much the same way it just looks a little different.

Thanks
    Thanks
    501 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

If the white baby has dark eyes then it can't be a lethal.

If the baby has red eyes there is still a good chance it isn't a lethal. If both of its eyes are a normal size, it reacts to sound, can see, and has all four of its front teeth (which you can see if you gently part its lips) then it is almost certainly not a lethal.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

They're absolutely adorable I'm so glad Rosie and the pups are okay. Enjoy them while they're small! They won't be for much longer that's for sure!

User Tag List