Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions senior pig introductions

mdodge

Cavy Slave
I'm about to go down to one piggy.I'm losing my little yams to cancer.
I have yams and her brother jabbers in a 6ft c&c cage divided in half each having there own side.I lost yams cage mate Arizona just over a month ago.
What I'm going to do is open the whole cage up and I want to get a cage mate for jabbers.he's 5 1/2 years old.
My advice I need is what might be easier for him adopting a senior around his age or a younger male about a yr old.
Right now this is a tough time for me it's been a fight with the cancer and she made a great recovery just to have it come back with avengence.(she also had ovarian cysts which we got under control really well but the bladder tumor was to much)
I'm looking to adopt within a week of her passing.she goes back to vet on thurs at that point she's more than likely going to cross the rainbow bridge.she's lost a lot of weight and is in pain on metacam and antibiotics right now.
Any advice about adopting is helpful I've been looking at a few rescues in my area one has a bonded pair of males that are about 2 yrs old....thank you

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so, so sorry you're going through this. I wish you and jabbers and especially little yams the best. I truly hope she passes peacefully.

I lost a senior boar late last year, and within a week of his passing I came home with two baby boys. I did introductions, and everything went absolutely fantastic.

Until the babies hit puberty.

Sly was always the dominant pig, of course. He turned 5 just after Pooper passed away so he is also a senior pig. He has osseous metaplasia, which makes it difficult for him to see. Scooter has always been ok with Sly, but Punkin wanted to be the dominant pig and even though he is the sweetest, most mellow boy I've ever seen he turned absolutely mean with Sly. I separated them when Sly was running into things trying to get away from him and Punkin latched onto Sly's back while Sly was trying to run away.

Sly now lives in a separate cage with a pen that gives them all access to each other. Punkin and Scooter are VERY bonded and I won't risk splitting them up. All seem very happy now, Sly likes to troll Punkin by walking up and down the pen bars grumbling at him.

Just in my own experience, and take this with a grain of salt. If I had to do it over again, I would probably take Sly around to meet other pigs his own age to see whom he would have gotten along with. Also bear in mind that Jabbers IS 5 1/2 years old (As is my Sly) and that his time left may or may not be short. I know Sly is exhibiting all the signs of old age and I know his time is growing very short.

Again, my heart breaks for you and little yams. My herd send you all the wheeks and grumbles of comfort you can handle.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry that you are going through this heartbreaking experience. It is never easy no matter how prepared you are for it. Sparky & Chip send wheeks of comfort to you and to Yams for an easy transition across the Rainbow Bridge. :love:

I applaud you for planning ahead and looking for your next adoptees. Knowing that you are going to give some other cavies a loving home is comforting and a great way to honor Yam's time with you. You should have absolutely no difficulty in finding cavies. PA is an absolute "hotbed" of cavy lovers as evidenced by the very large Macungie show each May.

Insofar as introductions go, I would consider a spayed sow if by some miracle you can find one. From all reports, it may be difficult to introduce Jabbers to an already bonded boar pair. But then, you never know until you see their personalities and how all three react together.

All the best..........

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Jabbers used to have a cage mate his brother but he passed away 2 yrs ago so he has been with another piggy.right now he's in good health eats like crazy and runs allover the place.I am worried about him being depressed when she goes.
Right now he mostly sleeps by the cage divided next to her.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Thank you spy9doc I never thought about a spayed sow but I'll look into it.there's a big rescue over in Jersey which is right across the bridge from Philly called halt (helping all little things) they have a lot of piggies in there rescue there.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You are most welcome! New Jersey is also a "hotbed" of cavy lovers and HALT seems to always have a plethora of cavies. I'm even more persuaded that a spayed sow would be lovely for Jabbers with the passing of Yams......and, he could absolutely be in the same cage with her. It is often difficult to find a spayed sow because spaying is a more complicated procedure than neutering, and if anyone has to choose, they generally choose to have the boar neutered. In your case, however, I'm not sure I would want to subject Jabbers to anesthesia.

You are located in a geographical region where you have access to lots of cavies. I feel certain that you will find that special one for Jabbers. :D

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Just a quick update.
I had one more week with her but it's time now.she has a appt at 7 were she'll cross the rainbow bridge.
She's in to much pain and she stopped eating this morning didn't even want any critical care.she fought to the end but the cancer was to much.
I've been going over n over in my mind what to do .get 2 girls and then when it's jabbers time(he's 5yrs 8 mths) open up cage and adopt another female.or adopt another male for him or maybe 2 .ive for a 6ft CxC cage....any advice is appreciated.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Hopefully @GuineaPigPapa will see your post and comment. He adopted a pair of young boars to go with his senior and all went fine until they hit puberty. Based on the experience of other members, it seems that if you want three cavies of either sex, it may be better to get them all at the same time so that you don't end up with a bonded pair and the one added later becomes the outsider and upsets the balance of power.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just got an email that this thread updated.
@mdodge, my heart breaks for you. I still deal with the pain daily of losing Pooper and I honestly have tears in my eyes feeling what you must now be feeling.

After losing Poopy late last year, I batted around the idea of either adopting another senior boar to introduce to him and hope everything went well, or adopt a pair of baby boys.

My rationale was that if I adopted a pair of babies that were the same age, they would likely (thought not definitely) live a similar amount of time, hopefully. Then when Sly passed, they would still have each other. Everything went so perfectly when I brought them home, it was like a miracle.

Then Punkin hit puberty.

Sly has osseous metaplasia that's progressively gotten worse, so his eyesight is limited. He's also going through malocclusion issues. Punkin got so mean with him that Sly was literally running into the cage bars and everything else trying to get away from Punkin, who just wouldn't leave him be. It got so bad I immediately went out and bought grids and coroplast and built a separate cage for the babies at the opposite end of the pen. They've lived separately every since. They can see see and smell and talk to each other through the grids but there is no more physical contact. Punkin won't even let Scooter visit Sly at the bars. Every time he tries, Punkin herds him away.

The best advice I could offer is that with Jabbers advanced age, maybe try and find another boar (or even a spayed sow) close to his age, although I know that's very difficult to do. Try meet and greets with shelters near you. In retrospect, that's probably what I should have done with Sly. Even though there are a couple of other pigs nearby, despite my best effort Sly is once again, essentially, alone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.