Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppy Pads Puppy Pads for 10 days?

KaaraWolf

Cavy Gazer
I'm going on vacation for about 10 days to another country, and unfortunately I can't take my guinea pigs with me. I have entrusted them to my girlfriend, but I can't take their whole c&c cage to her house, so I will be taking them in a smaller cage. My guinea pigs have a bad habit of lifting their fleece at the corners, and in a much smaller cage, i'm afraid they'll do it even more and make a mess constantly. If I just have them on puppy pads would it not be cushioning enough for the 10 days? Could they get Bumblefoot? If it isn't safe for them, I will go ahead with putting fleece above the puppy pads. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep them from lifting the fleece? Thank you!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Why not use disposable bedding for those ten days. I'd imagine puppy pads will get messy very quickly in a small cage.

ryliem

Cavy Slave
Puppy pads could get chewed up and the absorbent chemical can be ingested. If they are already trying to lift up their fleece, they are probably going to do the same with the pads. Try using disposable bedding.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have never had cavies who didn't just love the blue plastic on the puppy pads! :eek:hmy: In fact, they will chew any part of the pad that they discover, pulling it out from beneath the fleece.....and I have fairly weighty fleece liners. The pad has to be totally hidden so they can't see even a tiny bit of it.

If you are using a smaller cage, then I absolutely agree with lissie in that I would use disposable bedding.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'll third that motion, using Carefresh for the duration of your holiday will be much better in terms of keeping them clean, and they may even enjoy having it. Just puppy training pads would be too dangerous I would think. I used to use them as the very bottom layer in my cage, but I found that Uhaul padding worked much better and I always worried about the pads getting chewed. For me it just wasn't worth the risk.

KaaraWolf

Cavy Gazer
Thank you, I have decided that you're all right and I should use disposable bedding. I was wondering if Carefresh might be dusty? Online I get about half and half reviews of people saying it's barely dusty, and others saying it's way too dusty. Could dusty bedding cause them to get an Upper Respiratory infection?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.