Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Help me confirm the sex of my guinea pig?

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm hoping to get some second opinions on the gender of my guinea pig. He should be male! He's about 2 months old. Let me know if more/better photos are needed. Thanks!
IMG_6014.jpgIMG_6018.jpg

Jeff williams

Cavy Gazer
Looks like a boy to be sure gently push on either side of the bump above anus and his penis should come out you should also be able to feel his testicles..

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Not sure...try and see if you can feel/see the penis bone. Usually, it's not hard to spot. Just gently press above the genitals. It's soft and squishy when it's a female. You can feel a bump/tube thing if it's a male. As a matter of fact, I think I can see the penis bone in the 2nd pic. I hope you separated the baby from its mom/female cagemates...if not please do so! Male guinea pigs can become fertile as early as 3 weeks of age.

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
Not sure...try and see if you can feel/see the penis bone. Usually, it's not hard to spot. Just gently press above the genitals. It's soft and squishy when it's a female. You can feel a bump/tube thing if it's a male. As a matter of fact, I think I can see the penis bone in the 2nd pic. I hope you separated the baby from its mom/female cagemates...if not please do so! Male guinea pigs can become fertile as early as 3 weeks of age.

I do feel a hard bone above the genitals. When I try to reveal the penis though, it doesn't seem like a ton "comes out", it only extends out a little. Thoughts?

Jeff williams

Cavy Gazer
That's fine if even a little extends it's a male females won't have anything extend out

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I do feel a hard bone above the genitals. When I try to reveal the penis though, it doesn't seem like a ton "comes out", it only extends out a little. Thoughts?

Sometimes it takes a few seconds to fully come out. It could also be that you are not putting enough pressure / not pressing on the right spot.

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
It looks like female to me. See this link. The pig number 15.
https://cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Hmm, I don't see a pig (broken link removed) , it seems to end at (broken link removed) . Damnit though, that really freaks me out. I hope he's not female. I'll keep getting better photos and see if I can actually get the penis to fully come out to confirm...

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Can you take some photos where you've gently parted the genital region? (Like how they mention on the link lissie provided.)

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I think it's female.

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
@Shieme [MENTION=11509]lissie[/MENTION] [MENTION=22877]stray hares[/MENTION] How can I get a professional confirmation on this? Should I take him (her?) into the vet?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is there a guinea pig rescue in your area? They will probably be able to help you check.

If you take him/her to the vet, make sure they have experience with guinea pigs. Dogs/cats vets don't usually have experience with guinea pigs.

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
Looks male to me!

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Hmm, I don't see a pig (broken link removed) , it seems to end at (broken link removed) . Damnit though, that really freaks me out. I hope he's not female. I'll keep getting better photos and see if I can actually get the penis to fully come out to confirm...
That's all you can do is try to get the penis out or wait till the balls drop but that takes months. Some are easier than others but if you are pressing the right spot and nothing, you got a girl. Do you have a recuse place? Maybe go to a pet store and ask a person there but ask questions you already know. See if you can find a knowledgeable person. Not all pet store clerks are unknowledgeable. Some actually work there because they love animals then they learn, crap.

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
I'll be taking him to someone to help confirm his sex next week... Just today I noticed he humped my other guinea pig! The other one is definitely male; he's 1 year old and has been consistently identified as male by both his previous owners and the local Humane Society. Do females hump other pigs or is this strictly a male behavior? Here's hoping I have a little twink guinea pig instead of a pregnant one!

mellieann

Cavy Slave
I'll be taking him to someone to help confirm his sex next week... Just today I noticed he humped my other guinea pig! The other one is definitely male; he's 1 year old and has been consistently identified as male by both his previous owners and the local Humane Society. Do females hump other pigs or is this strictly a male behavior? Here's hoping I have a little twink guinea pig instead of a pregnant one!

yes, they do. They will also rumblestrut.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Since you are not sure about the gender, please keep them separated for now.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If it helps, I'm actually pretty nearly 100% he's a (currently underdeveloped) boy, because I can actually see the penile ridge in the second photo (unless it's a trick of the light). But please let us know what sex he/she turns out to be, because there's quite a mixture of opinions!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.