Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Should i seperate my guinea pigs ?

xIntense

Cavy Gazer
I have a male and a female guinea pigs, my female guinea pig just gave birth a day ago, and my male guinea pig is just like running close to them just today when i first got em together.. he sniffed the 2 new borns butts earlier they've only been together for the first time for like 15 minutes, my female is screaming when the male isnt close etc

scoottie

Cavy Slave
You should have when you realized that they were male and female he may have already gotten her pregnant again. This site doesn't accept breeding so if you are please stop.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Separate the male from the female and the babies. Have their cages close together so she can still smell/see him. If you keep them together, he can cause her to become pregnant again..he may already have. You can post pictures of the babies genitals and we'll help you figure out the sex. I think it's 3 weeks that the babies should be separated from their mother if they are male.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the male was in the cage when the pups were born, the female is almost certainly pregnant again -- she can become pregnant within minutes of giving birth. And that's VERY hard on the sow and on the second litter of pups. Make sure she gets very high quality pellets and hay, good veggies, and supplemental vitamin C.

Separate him now, and keep him separated. There's no need to put the cages next to each other, but if you do, put a lid on the FEMALE cage. A determined male can push up the lid on his own cage to get to a female, but he can't lift the lid on the female's cage.

If one or both of the pups are male, they can go live with their dad when they're 21 days old. That's when the boy pups have to be separated from their mom and sisters to keep from having inbred litters.

Please don't allow your pigs to breed. Pregnancy and labor are very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high. Guinea pigs are also susceptible to a number of awful genetic conditions, at least one of which (lethal white syndrome) causes the pups to be born blind and deaf, with wonky and/or missing teeth and immature digestive tracts. They need lifelong, expensive vet care. Another condition, osteodystrophy, causes a painful, untreatable bone and joint disease.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.