Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine White residue on pee

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I've recently noticed that there is a white residue left behind in spots where my piggy pees. I've heard this could be caused from too much calcium in their diet. What could be causing this high amount of calcium? I currently use (broken link removed) and these pellets. I've been feeling them fresh veggies consisting of mostly romaine lettuce, bell peppers, and small amounts of spinach, kale, and carrots. What types of vegetables are low in calcium?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
The hay and the pellets are both not ideal, and also much more expensive than the better stuff. KMS or Small Pet Select hay can be ordered online in bulk for much cheaper and are healthier, and KMS or Oxbow pellets are recommended.

As for veggies, stop the spinach and kale, and use red and/or green leaf lettuce instead of romaine. All of these changes should together decrease their calcium by a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old is your pig?

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
@bpatters @jaycriae Thank you so much! I know now that the hay and pellets aren't ideal, and I'll be replacing them with KMS. But I just wanted to show what they were currently eating to see what might be causing it. I'll definitely do those veggies instead!

I have two boars, one is a year old and the other is two months. I have no idea which pig is having the problem, I'll keep a eye out and figure that out. What factor could age be playing?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't worry about the two month old -- calcium in urine isn't a problem until the pig is about six months old. You can reduce the calcium for the older one, and take the baby out for a few sprigs of parsley every day.

Drop the romaine, also. In some pigs, but not in all, it can cause excess urinary calcium. Red and green leaf lettuce are better choices.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

mcbean2006

Cavy Slave
I read that some Kaytee food has a lot of calcium. I would switch to oxbow. Wonderful brand.

stayarctic

Cavy Slave

mcbean2006

Cavy Slave
Please tell me how KMS hayloft works out for you. Would like to see how it is compared to oxbow.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
KMS and the new formulation of Oxbow are very similar. Both are good pellets.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I noticed that the links your gave for your current hay and pellets are for Amazon Canada. KMS cannot ship here.

Oxbow is your best choice in Canada for hay and pellets. I'm in Ontario and buy on-line from Flowertown Chinchillas https://www.chinchilla.ca/. I shop locally at Ren's Pet Depot and Pet Valu stores.

I avoid Pet Smart if I can. They have good deals but they sell live animals and I don't think they treat their animals very well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.