Thread: No car - how to buy hay and bedding?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

No car - how to buy hay and bedding?

First - i had guinea pigs for 10 years. I have had none for 3 years now, and instead have 3 rats, which i love. But although rats bond more and are more interactive with you, they dont make as many sounds. rats should generally be quiet, only squealing if in pain or being powergroomed.. Guinea pigs have so many fun sounds. Wheeking, popcorning, happy chuttering, etc. They call out if they hear the fridge, when you come home. I miss that so much.

But when i had GPs, i didnt do it right. I think i did better than some, but their cage were still a bit too small, and i bought hay and bedding from the grocery store. I dont want to do this again! I need a huge cage(not a problem) and large amounts of hay and bedding. I dont want to buy small packets, only worth 1-2 weeks(for 2 guinea pigs). But me and my boyfriend dont have a car, although he thinks he will buy one sometime after summer. He said this last year too, and i miss GPs terribly, i dont want to wait too long. So next option is delivery. The post almost always come by during working hours, so i cant be home. And i live in an apartment, they cant just place it on the porch or something. Thats a problem..

Please tell me what you do if you dont have a car to go pick up large batches of hay and bedding. And you live in an apartment. What is the solution? I cant imagine everyone owning guinea pigs has a car, or lives on a farm with hay.. :)

Please note that i am not exchanging my rats for guinea pigs! They will all be loved till their time comes. :)

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,514 Rec'd/6,004 Posts

Re: No car - how to buy hay and bedding?

You can order both online. Good hay is available from Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, KMS Hayloft, and others. It's also WAY cheaper than what you'd buy in small bags in a pet store, as well as much fresher.

Read the stickies about fleece as bedding. Once you get set up, you don't have to order anything else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Yeah, as i wrote, i live in an apartment and will probably not be home when it is delivered. They cant just place it outside the door.

We dont have a washing machine to wash the fleece with, and using the apartment blocks is a no-no.
    Also, i already wrote that i dont want to buy small bags.
    I live in denmark, and i only have one shop option for buying in bulk. I can either go by car and get it myself, but we dont have a car. Or i can order it, and get it sent, but as i said, this is a problem too.

This is my problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    @Krymie, since I live in the US, I don't know how apartments are set up in Denmark. Do you have a manager who lives in the apartment complex? Could they accept the delivery of the hay? Or do you have a close neighbor who is home and would be willing to accept the box of hay? I'm not sure how your apartment is set-up but if you have a covered area couldn't the delivery service just place the hay there? Perhaps your apartment doesn't allow for that. Unfortunately here in the US it is becoming pretty common to have someone steal packages right off of a porch. I'm not sure if that is a problem in Denmark?

It is definitely cheaper and easier to order online. I understand your problem with not having a car at this time. Hopefully you will be able to work something out and purchase your hay in bulk.

I also have rats, in addition to my guinea pigs, and I know what sweet little creatures they are. What are your rats names?
    Thank you for the very kind answer. We only have 1 manager per 3 blocks, and he is not in the same as i. I dont think i could burden him with this task.
    Maybe the neighbor thing, but unless it is an elderly, they will probably have the same problem as i, being at work. what kind of covered area are you thinking of? Likewise, i dont know what american apartments look like. In denmark, there is no hallways like i see in movies. Only stairs, with about 1-3 square meters of floor between doors.

And about the porch stealing, in denmark we often have huge bushes(dont think this is the right word. Hedges?) Or sheds to hid packages behind. I know my parents-in-law do this.

My rats are named Magnus, Eddie and Matty 😊

Sendt fra min FRD-L09 med Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krymle View Post
    Thank you for the very kind answer. We only have 1 manager per 3 blocks, and he is not in the same as i. I dont think i could burden him with this task.
    Maybe the neighbor thing, but unless it is an elderly, they will probably have the same problem as i, being at work. what kind of covered area are you thinking of? Likewise, i dont know what american apartments look like. In denmark, there is no hallways like i see in movies. Only stairs, with about 1-3 square meters of floor between doors.

And about the porch stealing, in denmark we often have huge bushes(dont think this is the right word. Hedges?) Or sheds to hid packages behind. I know my parents-in-law do this.

My rats are named Magnus, Eddie and Matty 😊

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    Your ratties are adorable. I have two little black and white girls and my other girl is tan and white. Their names are: Stormy, Double-Dot and Shammie.

What I meant by covered, is there a roof or a small enclosure near your apartment door? You could have the package delivered to your job, but I assume you probably take public transportation and it would be almost impossible to carry home something that heavy.

I know it's so difficult when you live in an apartment. I used to live in one too and I know you can have problems with packages and delivery. Here in the US, you can have your packages delivered to a postal center and they will hold them for you until you can pick them up. Would that be any kind of an option for you? Maybe you could find a friend with a car who would take you there to pick up.

Whatever you decide, I hope you can get your guinea pigs soon. You sound like a wonderful pet owner.
    You are right about the public transportation.
    We have the basement, but you need a key to get in.

I could do the postal center thing, that is a good idea. But i would still need some method of transporting it home, like one of those things with wheels, you can carry heavier stuff with. Stuff you normally cant. We use them at work, dont know what they are called..

Then i could call on my bf to carry it up the stairs.

Good idea, might be the only option. Till we get a car.

User Tag List