Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Young guinea pigs possibly pregnant accidental inbreeding

JigsawJail

Cavy Slave
I'll start the story from the beginning. A close friend of mine decided to begin breeding guinea pigs. I didn't agree with this decision very much but it wasn't mine to make. I wondered if she was ready for such a task or if she knew what she was doing. Now it is apparent she was not ready, has no clue what she is doing and shouldn't be breeding if she won't take the time to learn about what she's doing. But more on that later. She bought two guinea pigs from two different shelters, she had a separate cage for when the babies were born and seemed prepared. The first liter only had one female guinea pig, she waited for it to be of the appropriate age before giving it to her cousin who has another guinea pig. All was well and after a brief period (too brief if you ask me) she but them back together for another liter. Lo and behold, she got pregnant soon after. This time having four pups. She gendered them coming to the conclusion that there was 3 girls and 1 boy. I figured I would take one, they were cute and I had done more than enough research and was more than prepared. I then figured I would take 2 females, she didn't have anyone else to take one and they would keep each other company. She wanted to wait and keep them with their mother for 2 months!! I told her that was absolutely wrong, the boy needed to be separated at 3 weeks or he could get the mother and his sisters pregnant. So, she told me to take the females at 3 weeks, a bit before actually. I said the females can stay four weeks but she insisted I take them. I took them and introduced them to their new home, a c&c cage I made for them. My friend just has two small store bought cages, one for the female and babies and one for the male. She thinks my cage isn't appropriate and I should buy one. Anyhow, I named my guinea pigs Bread and Butter. They seemed happy and I took care of them nicely. A few days later to a week later I have a different friend come over and she wants to see the guinea pigs. As we're playing with them I decide to double check the genders. As it turns out, Bread was a male and Butter was a girl all along. I tell my friends the breeder and two days later go to return Bread. I have no space for another place for a guinea pig to keep separate and no money to get him neutered. I return him and she offers I take the other female instead, turns out after double checking they actually had 2 females and 2 males. I agree, to keep Butter company and to avoid any pregnancies. At that point she STILL had not separated the males and females. As of now the 2 males are with the mother. She may have moved them today, but I'm unsure. The other female she gave me, who I named Beer (Butter & Beer) was the runt of the group. An odd one out, she's has more white and a darker color. She's much smaller than the rest which caused me to worry so I've been paying extra attention to her. She acts a bit strange though, compared to the others. (ex. refusing to eat her veggies, I'm not really sure she's eating at all. Not popcorning like her siblings. So far I've only had her for a day so I can't be sure. What I can tell (or at least what I think) is that she, and Butter, are both pregnant. They both have lumps coming out the sides of their stomach giving them a pear like shape and more poop is apparent leading me to believe they have been eating more. This raises some concerns, questions, and some anger towards my friend. Are they really pregnant? I may be wrong, but I can't take them to the vet until next week. They're so young can they even get pregnant? Since they're so young, can they give birth? Will they and the babies be ok? The runt, Beer, is very small. I'm worried something may be wrong, and if the's pregnant that makes things much worse. I don't have any way to separate the babies into when need be. Do the mothers need to be seperated? I don't have a way to do that either. I don't want to have to turn them over to a shelter but if it might help and might even save them and I have to, I will.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.