Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[Japan] I could use some advice. Getting my guinea pigs in one month

Ok first things first let's get this out of the way. I am buying my guinea pigs. I love in Japan and they're not too big on adopting especially where I live. I have looked into it and the only place I could find wouldn't even tell me if they had guinea pigs up for adoption.

That being said. I am getting two females next month. I have their cage set up but I have questions.

1) Japan is a very seasonal country so I won't be able to get fleece until September. Will it be ok to start them with aspen and then switch to fleece?

2) My apartment is small with two large windows. Their cage is next to on of them. I have no where else to put it so do you have tips on having the cage by the window?

3) I was looking at vegetables that are ok for them and I was wondering about Japanese vegetables like taro and gobo (both are root vegetables).

4)It's pretty hot here in the Summers and freezing in the winters. I've looked up some tips like frozen water bottles wrapped in towels and more hay in the winters but do you have any other tips?

5) I don't drive and I will be taking the train with them for vet visits and when I first get them. Do you have any tips on traveling by train?

6) Speaking of vets. When should I take them to be checked?

I know this is pretty long but these are my biggest questions right now. I had a guinea pig years before but I was very ignorant about his care, I want to do right by my two new family members so any other tips you can offer would be immensely helpful. Thank you!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Re: [Japan] I could use some advice. Getting my guinea pigs in one month

I know that a wellness check is yearly and people say always get a yearly wellness check. Also just get a pet carrier and put water, food, and hay in it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    723 Rec'd/624 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Congratulations on getting your new girls. I can answer some of your questions.

1. It will be fine to start them on aspen and then switch them to fleece. Just make sure you do not use any bedding with cedar.

2. As far as the windows go, make sure the pigs are not sitting in the hot sun and are not in a draft if the window are open. If you have blinds on the windows I would close them if the sun is very hot.

3. I'm afraid I cannot answer this question because I'm not familiar with these veggies.

4. The frozen water bottles will be fine for the summer months. Also some people have bought ceramic tiles and put them in the cage for the pigs to lay on during the hot days. Do you have any air conditioning in your apartment? Are you able to purchase a portable one that you can remove from the window when not needed? They are on wheels and can be rolled from room to room. We have them here in the US.

5. A pet carrier will be fine for your vet visits. I would't put any water in it because it will spill and make a mess. You can put very wet veggies in for them and that way they will get water. But don't be surprised if your pigs don't eat or drink during the trip.

6. I know this is often a question that is asked. Many people do take their pigs in for yearly exams, but just as many people don't. My opinion is if your pig is not sick or having any health issues it is more stressing to take them to the vet. I think that decision is best left up to the owner. I have had guinea pigs for years and have only had to take mine in once because she got a hay poke in her eye. If you feel like you would like them checked out yearly that is fine too.

Good luck with your new additions and please post if you have any further questions. There are many members here are very knowledgeable and love to help.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies. I don't have an air conditioner but I'm planning to get a fan if that helps. I will also be getting curtains that help with reducing the sun's rays. Also should I take them to the vet when I first get them just to do a check up to make sure they are healthy. Or any tips on how to check myself?

Thanks
    Thanks
    723 Rec'd/624 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Yes, getting a fan will help move the air around the room. Just make sure it isn't blowing directly on the pig cage. The curtains will help too. I have mini blinds in my pig room and when it gets hot and quite sunny I always close them and it is surprising how much cooler it keeps the room.

Since you are buying your pigs from, I assume, a pet store it probably would be a good idea to have them checked out by a vet. Keep in mind that many illnesses that can affect a guinea pig are not always obvious right in the beginning. It can take a week or so for a pig to show any symptoms. However, you can never do wrong by having a vet check them out. A veterinarian can often see things that are not always visible to us.

The things that you should look out for are signs of a URI. This would include runny eyes, runny nose or a raspy or wheezing sound coming from the chest. This is very serious and definitely needs veterinary treatment immediately.

Any pig who is not eating or drinking is also an immediate concern. However, it is not unusual for a pig to be afraid for the first few days and may seem reluctant to eat. Put the food dish, water bottle and hay area very near where they are hiding. In almost all cases the pig will come out during the night or when no one is around and then start eating. You can offer them water by holding the water bottle by their mouths. It usually only takes a few days and then the pig will start eating and drinking even when you are near the cage. Food is their main love.

It won't take long before your pigs will look forward to seeing you and will respond as soon as they hear you coming. Mine start wheeking the minute they hear me walk towards their room.

6. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    515 Rec'd/435 Posts
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Quoted
    251 Post(s)

As for the taro and gobo question. I would avoid feeding taro, it is a starchy vegetable and guinea pigs generally don't handle starchy vegetables well. Gobo looks fine to me, just feed it in moderation, perhaps no more than a few times a week, as it does have a small amount of calcium in it (it has roughly the same amount of calcium as celery).

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I will decide on the vet visit once I see them for sure. My windows are too big for blinds (because they're doors haha) but I will get nice curtains. Good to know about the fan! And thanks for the information about the taro and gobo! It's really helpful! I will be mindful of how much I give them!

User Tag List