Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Towels and fleece?

Is three cotton towels underneath a polar fleece throw an acceptable bedding? If so, how often should it be cleaned?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

Re: Towels and fleece?

Quote Originally Posted by ReiSixx9 View Post
    Is three cotton towels underneath a polar fleece throw an acceptable bedding? If so, how often should it be cleaned?
    Towels are going to get soiled and smell very quickly! Use disposable puppy pads or incontinence pads instead. Use the "sniff test" to determine when to change them.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Towels are going to get soiled and smell very quickly! Use disposable puppy pads or incontinence pads instead. Use the "sniff test" to determine when to change them.
    The only reason I decided on towels was because of the cost. Won't disposable puppy pads or incontinence pads be way more expensive in the long run? :/

How long do you think the towels would last until they start smelling? I've been told anywhere from 3 days to 1 week.

Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

It really depends on how many layers of towels you have and if your piggies pee everywhere or just in one spot (also depends on how many guinea pigs you have!). The more layers of towels the better. Cheap towels are most likely thin and don't absorb much. You want thick quality towels which can be expensive. Puppy pads are not cheap either and you have to buy them over and over again. There is also the risk that your pigs could get to the pads and eat them. I would suggest using U-haul pads. They are not that expensive and they last a long time. They are great for making cage liners. You want to use at least 2 layers of u-haul along with one layer of fleece on top. Here's a link to the product: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...re-Pad?id=2670

U-haul does a much better job at controlling odor. However, it's not the best. If you want something that will really control odor AND last a long time, I would suggest using wood pellets. For more info, go to the search bar at the top and type in "wood pellets". There's a whole thread about it.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CavyTV View Post
    It really depends on how many layers of towels you have and if your piggies pee everywhere or just in one spot (also depends on how many guinea pigs you have!). The more layers of towels the better. Cheap towels are most likely thin and don't absorb much. You want thick quality towels which can be expensive. Puppy pads are not cheap either and you have to buy them over and over again. There is also the risk that your pigs could get to the pads and eat them. I would suggest using U-haul pads. They are not that expensive and they last a long time. They are great for making cage liners. You want to use at least 2 layers of u-haul along with one layer of fleece on top. Here's a link to the product: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...re-Pad?id=2670

U-haul does a much better job at controlling odor. However, it's not the best. If you want something that will really control odor AND last a long time, I would suggest using wood pellets. For more info, go to the search bar at the top and type in "wood pellets". There's a whole thread about it.
    Thanks, but unfortunately I can't find wood pellets or u-haul pads as I live in Australia. Maybe I'll just try and get better now expensive towels.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ReiSixx9 View Post
    Won't disposable puppy pads or incontinence pads be way more expensive in the long run?
    Yes and No. Puppy pads aren't all that expensive if you buy them at a discount store. I formerly used them but wanted to find a solution kinder to the environment and not as wasteful.

Incontinence pads (bed pads) are specifically designed to absorb bodily fluids and are used in hospitals all over the world as well as private homes. They can be cut to fit your cage, but they must be sewn BEFORE they are cut or else the two layers will separate. Make an overcast/zizag seam and cut close to the stitching. They can be washed and dried along with your fleece and I even add bleach to my wash. So far they have held up incredibly well.

I sew my own liners consisting of two layers of fleece with a layer of uHaul pad in the middle, and incorporate the incontinence pad between that and the coroplast.

User Tag List