Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury A Limping Piggy! :(

Piggylova

Cavy Gazer
My piggy is limping on her left back leg! It doesn't seem to bother her when I gently touch it but I hear tiny squeals when she is adjusting herself. I can't take her to the vet because I simply cant afford it, I'm a minor and my parents are financially struggling..! D: Is there anything I can do to help her heal at home? It doesn't seem broken, It seems like it's sprained because she does walk around but ends up limping. I lost my other piggy about a month ago and I don't wanna loose this one :/. She is about 6 years old. I hope there is some advice out there to help my piggy asap :)

Positive wishes!
~Piggylova

SunflowerQueen

Cavy Gazer
Maybe get some wood from matchsticks and some gauze to give support to your piggies leg. She might have a pulled muscle or have a sprain. It's like a mini piggy splint :) then she can have something since you are having trouble getting access to vet care. Hope she feels better!!

Piggylova

Cavy Gazer
Thanks so much! Will give is a shot!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If the bone isn't broken then there is no need to splint the leg, she may try and eat whatever you wrap the leg in and may injure the leg further by attempting to remove the splint.

What you can do is confine her to a small space so she doesn't overuse the leg and make the injury worse. Make sure her food, water, and sleeping spot are all very close together and block off the rest of the cage so she doesn't have to move much to eat or drink and can't run around to harm herself further.

If it is a simple sprain it will heal if given enough time if it is not overused, it would be ideal if you could get her to a vet for a prescribed pain medication to make her more comfortable while healing but I understand that this is not possible in your current situation.

Piggylova

Cavy Gazer
Thanks so much! I’ll do that!

If the bone isn't broken then there is no need to splint the leg, she may try and eat whatever you wrap the leg in and may injure the leg further by attempting to remove the splint.

What you can do is confine her to a small space so she doesn't overuse the leg and make the injury worse. Make sure her food, water, and sleeping spot are all very close together and block off the rest of the cage so she doesn't have to move much to eat or drink and can't run around to harm herself further.

If it is a simple sprain it will heal if given enough time if it is not overused, it would be ideal if you could get her to a vet for a prescribed pain medication to make her more comfortable while healing but I understand that this is not possible in your current situation.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I actually was in the exact same situation as you were. What I did was I put Flyn in a 2x2 (28in.x28in.) and had my other boy Bramley in his 2x4 area for a few weeks (the cage was a 2x6). I had his favorite pillow, his water bottle, and a pile of hay next to each other so he could have easy access. I believe it took Flyn 3.5ish weeks to fully recover. I then had to do re-introduce the boys. Flyn was limping like your guinea pig, only he did not squeal when he shifted. He was raising his hurt paw up and walking/running like that, occasionally putting pressure on it when he walked or sat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.