Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids [Japan] 8×8 Grids for my cage? How to make it work?

twebb92

Cavy Slave
I live in Japan and I can only find 8x8 grids here.:weepy::weepy: It was really costly just to get grids because they're not used so often here. I read that it's not good to have bigger than 9x9 but I'm wondering how I can make this 8x8 work.:confused::important Please help. I don't get my guinea pigs until next month but I'm trying to be well prepared.

twebb92

Cavy Slave
Where would I find information about baby proofing?

twebb92

Cavy Slave
Follow up question. If I make tall walls with coroplast will that be ok?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
First of all, if you have questions such as the two you have posted, use the Search function here on the Forum and you will find the answer to just about any question you may have. It is the box at the top right of the page with the magnifying glass. You will find a wealth of information in previous posts. When I first joined the Forum, I literally spent two days reading through old posts in order to get up to speed with the present discussions.

There will be a problem with the 8x8 grids only if your cavies can come in contact with them. As you know, babies are especially vulnerable to getting a head stuck in the grids. For instance, there is NO place in my cage that it is possible for them to ever contact a grid. When assessing for this, be aware that cavies often climb on houses/hideys that are close to the side of the cage. I had a 4 wk old actually climb up on a house and jump out of the cage because I had to isolate him in the loft for a couple of days. Thankfully, I found him wedged in the cage stand and he was o.k.

Most of us make our coroplast walls about 6" high, but there's no harm in making them 8" or even a bit more. Look at it this way: you can make the walls higher now and when your piggies get older, you can always cut them down. Some people babyproof by wedging cardboard between the coroplast and the grids when the piggies are young and then remove it later. It's not very esthetically pleasing, but it works.

In conclusion, if you need to use the 8x8 grids, I feel the best solution is to make the walls higher. And BTW, the 8x8 grids are perfectly fine for the cage bottom and for a grid stand.

twebb92

Cavy Slave
First of all, if you have questions such as the two you have posted, use the Search function here on the Forum and you will find the answer to just about any question you may have. It is the box at the top right of the page with the magnifying glass. You will find a wealth of information in previous posts. When I first joined the Forum, I literally spent two days reading through old posts in order to get up to speed with the present discussions.

There will be a problem with the 8x8 grids only if your cavies can come in contact with them. As you know, babies are especially vulnerable to getting a head stuck in the grids. For instance, there is NO place in my cage that it is possible for them to ever contact a grid. When assessing for this, be aware that cavies often climb on houses/hideys that are close to the side of the cage. I had a 4 wk old actually climb up on a house and jump out of the cage because I had to isolate him in the loft for a couple of days. Thankfully, I found him wedged in the cage stand and he was o.k.

Most of us make our coroplast walls about 6" high, but there's no harm in making them 8" or even a bit more. Look at it this way: you can make the walls higher now and when your piggies get older, you can always cut them down. Some people babyproof by wedging cardboard between the coroplast and the grids when the piggies are young and then remove it later. It's not very esthetically pleasing, but it works.

In conclusion, if you need to use the 8x8 grids, I feel the best solution is to make the walls higher. And BTW, the 8x8 grids are perfectly fine for the cage bottom and for a grid stand.

Thanks a lot. I'm not getting baby guinea pigs as I am buying them from the shop (no rescues in Japan :sad:) but I will definitely start with higher walls and decide how to proceed after!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.