Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Two-faced pigs

So recently my girlfriend and I got a pair of male pigs, 6 months old from a store. It's been about a week now, and they've been out a few times on our laps. They're okay eating from our hands while we pet them, however it's another story in their C & C cage. They run into their pigaloo at the sight of us from the doorway, and hardly come out. They'll eat kale and snacks from our hands, but won't leave their shelter to do so. We've read that you're supposed to get them to come out in order to pick them up for floor time. But if they can't stretch far enough to reach what we're offering without leaving the pigaloo, they won't take it. How can we bond better with our pigs?

Thanks
    Thanks
    42 Rec'd/38 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Re: Two-faced pigs

Give them time. It's only the first week. They will warm up to you eventually. Just keep feeding them on your lap and let them eat in their pigloo if they want.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,242 Rec'd/1,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Quoted
    938 Post(s)

Don't rush it. Cavies are prey animals and their instinct is to hide from large scary creatures who want to eat them. Even after 1.5 yrs, one of my boys still runs every time we approach the cage. Once captured, he happily settles down in one's lap.

Don't expect your cavies to behave like dogs. They are entirely different creatures and require a different approach.

Is your cage on the floor? Many of us have our cages up higher and we don't seem so formidable to our small furry friends. It takes a lot of patience and love to earn their trust, but once you do, they are just about the most delightful creatures I can imagine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

See if you have time just sitting next to the cage. Sometimes if you rush to alway pick them up, they might not like it as much as you think. If all you are doing is picking them up immediately when approaching the cage, they will hide. But if you sit next to the cage (read something or another activity) and they start to smell you around them and then they know you are not a predator. Soon they will demand your time. Mine still runs when I enter the room but when I sit down she comes out and peeks outside the cage (I always open the door when sit down).

User Tag List