Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How often to clean my cage? How much bedding?

firejack6

Cavy Slave
I will be getting 2 guinea pigs. We are using an IKEA Detolf cage. How much bedding should I use and how often to clean it? I will be using Aspen. I am new to larger cages and have never had a guinea pig.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Here is a link to some information for new guinea pig owners! https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

A c&c cage is really the best thing for guinea pigs! They are relatively inexpensive and are easy to put together and clean.

Have you considered fleece bedding? It's very popular for guinea pigs and it is also a cheaper option than using a disposable bedding. Information on fleece can be found here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/21568-The-Fleece-Project-The-Study

I love fleece because it has saved me so much money in disposable bedding costs.

If you do decide to use disposable bedding, you will need a good layer in the cage. You will also need to spot clean daily (as you would with fleece).

firejack6

Cavy Slave
Thank you for letting me know. I will be getting a c&c cage instead. I might use fleece.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Thank you for letting me know. I will be getting a c&c cage instead. I might use fleece.

If you are in the states Jo Ann fabric frequently has fleece sales, and coupons come out all the time. I'm Canadian but I will actually drive all the way down to New York to buy fleece because it's so much cheaper lol

Where are you going to be getting your piggies? Are you excited?!

firejack6

Cavy Slave
That is what I was going to do for fleece. I can't get my pigs for a while because my grandpa had knee surgery and is living with us for a month or so. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a shelter to adopt near me and so I will have to go to Petco or something.:(

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
That is what I was going to do for fleece. I can't get my pigs for a while because my grandpa had knee surgery and is living with us for a month or so. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a shelter to adopt near me and so I will have to go to Petco or something.:(

If you let us know what city you are in maybe we can help find a place? This forum has people all over the place, they might know of a place.

Local animal shelters sometimes have pigs as well. My humane society normally has at least two for adoption.

When I got mine I had to wait a month before I could get them, but it worked out well for me because I was able to plan really well in advance and get everything ready for them.

stream26

Cavy Slave
Hi. It does depend on a lot,bedding,cage size and in general some piggies are messier.
All my boys are indoors on newspaper,towels and then fleece on top and i clean theres every second day occasionally every 3rd day and spot clean twice daily,
there is less smell with fleece,its cost effective, soft on there feet,and looks pretty too!
like others say it does depend on alot,bedding,cage size and in general some piggies are messier.
All my boys are indoors on newspaper,towels and then fleece on top and i clean theres every second day occasionally every 3rd day and spot clean twice daily,
there is less smell with fleece,its cost effective, soft on there feet,and looks pretty too!

firejack6

Cavy Slave
I am in a small city near Akron, OH.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.