Thread: How to keep guinea pigs with a cat?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

How to keep guinea pigs with a cat?

I'm going to get two guinea pigs, but only if I can figure out a sure-fire safe way to keep them if I get a cat. Would I just have to keep the cat out of the room that they're in? Maybe get a top for my cage?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Quoted
    698 Post(s)

Re: How to keep guinea pigs with a cat?

You could try to keep the cat out of the room but that might prove a little difficult for the long term. If you have a C&C cage, you can always make a lid for it. Here are some ideas https://www.guineapigcages.com/photo...sed-cages.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I don't know your living situation, but my roommate has a cat and I have my guinea pigs. But his cat is not very good at being a cat. She displays interest in my pigs but never threatens them. She'll watch them and when they approach the edge of the cage she backs away. There was one time one of them was on the floor in my room and the cat came in. The pig stopped for a moment, then walked right past her without anything happening. So with that in mind:

Separate your pigs and your cat so they have separate rooms (i.e., move the cat's food, litter box, and toys out of it) and make that area off limits to your cat when you're not home. Keep the door closed securely; I can't tell you how many times my roommate's cat managed to get my door open unless the door clicks shut. The other line of the defense is the cage cover. In the event you forget to close the door all the way or the cat finds a way in somehow, at least the cover will keep them safe until you get home.

Over time, gauge the situation and adjust accordingly. In my situation, I was confident that my roommate's cat wouldn't hurt the pigs so I moved them to the living room (where it was warmer in the winter). When I'm home the cage covers come off, but I always make sure they're on when I go to sleep or leave the house for work in the morning. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/94 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

We have 2 cats. One was raised since kittenhood indoors and gets along with the pigs just fine. He will investigate them every once in a while but never attacks them. He's just nosy.

the other cat spent his kittenhood on the cold hard streetz of our suburban town, and genuinely does not care about the guinea pigs. Granted we keep the door closed most of the time, because if push came to shove he probably would see them as lunch, but he is fat and grumpy and stays away.

I would say that as long as you have the pigs before the cat, and choose a youngish or docile cat, you would be able to acclimate them to each other without incident.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I wouldn't do it. The cat might find a way in a scare the piggies

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I had a cat and what she would do when I had a rat (that left her cage) was just watch her. I don't know if the rat ever bit her but she respected the rat (boots) area. Also my scent was all over boots. There are ways to introduce rodents to cats. Also the breed of the cat matters. Ragdolls won't do anything. They are there name sake. If your cat is hyper, I wouldn't try at all. Find out the breed and how active she/he is. If you can, put your GP in a room that your cats are not allowed and if that's not possible, it would be better that you don't get GP. They get scared easy and cats are a torment predator animal. They will play with their food.

User Tag List