Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Buying hay from a local farm

jasbrent

Cavy Slave
So I recently bought a bale of hay from a local farm. It isn't super green. Smells fine to me. But I am wondering if they can get parasites from this local hay? I usually always go with oxbow but trying to cut down on costs and I can't find a good place online that will ship to my area (Alberta Canada) that is cheap and has bigger quantities.🤔
cd6e161529fc63879a8c78799d41124e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They can get parasites from Oxbow just as well as they can from local hay. Oxbow buys from farmers all over the place, and hay is hay is hay. Same bugs in all the fields. But it's rare for a pig to get parasites from hay anyway. They've already got mites, and they're unlikely to get lice from hay.

jasbrent

Cavy Slave
Ok! Makes me feel better. This hay is not super green. It is more on the brown/dull side. Doesn't seem to look or smell moldy tho.

jasbrent

Cavy Slave
Can a change in quality of hay bother their digestive system? My girl is having more soft stool today. She is off veggies for a couple weeks. Hee stool has been tested and clear. But since eating this hay her stool is softer... I mixed her old stuff with if for now

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.