Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Syringing Oasis C drops

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I have been supplementing my 6.5 year old pig with vitamin C drops (in addition to a bit of critical care and a liquid glucosamine). I have been giving her 2.5ml of the Oasis vitamin C drops.

Based on my math, the 2.5ml should equal 17.5mg

The bottle says 2120mg of vitamin C per fluid ounce. An ounce is 30ml, so 2120/30= 70mg per ml.

This means that each 0.1ml has 7mg of vitamin c. So 2.5ml is 17.5mg.

Izzy still eats peppers and pellets like a champ, and she gobbles up her veggies. Having two other pigs in the cage makes me worry that she maybe doesn't get enough peppers (even though she is a feisty pig). I've noticed her coat is a lot shinier and her skin issues have lessened since I started supplementing her.

Does 2.5ml sound like enough or the right amount?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're off a decimal. If there's 70 mg per ml, you're giving 175 mg in 2.5 ml. You should be giving .25 ml.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
You're off a decimal. If there's 70 mg per ml, you're giving 175 mg in 2.5 ml. You should be giving .25 ml.

That's a typo! Oops. I am giving 0.25ml, not 2.5ml.

Does that sound like an okay amount?

I've been mixing 1/2 tsp of critical care with 5ml of water, the .25ml of vitamin C and 1ml of the wellese brand glucosamine for her. She just gobbled it all up in minutes and was sniffing for more! I'm shocked, she never co-operates this well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm glad it's a typo! That was a lot of vitamin C.

And yes, it's an OK amount, as she's getting some C from other sources.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I've just noticed Izzy's poops are a little lighter in colour and they seem less moist. Could this be because of the addition of the critical care? She doesn't appear to be in any pain, i'm wondering if she just needs a bit more water after having critical care. I just started giving it to her yesterday so I wonder if her poops have changed because of that. I've just noticed it, it may have been just a one off. I'm going to take her out again in a little bit and see if they are still looking lighter and drier than normal.

I added another water bottle on the main level of the cage in case my more dominant girl has been guarding the water (I don't think so, but I added another bottle just to be certain).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's always a good idea to give water with CC. That stuff really soaks up liquids. I mix it at least 15 minutes before I give it, and always have to add water a couple of times to make a loose slurry.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
So this morning when I woke up I noticed her butt was wet. She has a brown crust around her vagina. I don't see any diarrhea in the cage and I've had her out with me for about 45 minutes and she's passed a number of normal poops. She's also peed a couple times, normal amount, no smell or weird colour.

I did just give her a butt bath and I was able to soak off most of the crusting. I think she may have been in heat for the first time in a WHILE. We have started giving her cystorelin regularly for her ovarian cysts. I noticed her vagina was a lot more open and almost 'bloomed'. I remember that used to happen when she was in heat.

I'm not sure if the crust is related to her mucous plug?

The only other theory I have is giving her 1ml of the glucosamine may have been too much to start. It says on the bottle it may cause gastrointestinal upset. Perhaps it was too much for her to start out with? I still haven't been able to find any diarrhea, We use fleece bedding so I assume that I would be able to see it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It may be the glucosamine. When dealing with such a small animal, giving a drug that may cause GI problems should be done with a lot of caution. It would probably have been better to start off with a fraction of that and worked up to a normal dose.

How did you arrive at 1 ml as the correct dose?

Also, if she sleeps in the area where she pees and poops the most, the crust may just be from laying in her own waste.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
It may be the glucosamine. When dealing with such a small animal, giving a drug that may cause GI problems should be done with a lot of caution. It would probably have been better to start off with a fraction of that and worked up to a normal dose.

How did you arrive at 1 ml as the correct dose?

Also, if she sleeps in the area where she pees and poops the most, the crust may just be from laying in her own waste.

Based on this thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-with-aging-piggies/page5?highlight=aging+pig

Perhaps 1cc was too much.

Now I have looked her over and I am noticing her vulva is swollen, above her urethra. I can feel a lump. I tried to wipe the area and she wheeked very loudly. I booked an appointment at the vet tomorrow morning but I am going to call back and see if there is any way they can see me today. I may call her other vet and see if they can squeeze us in.

I am wondering if the goo I am seeing on her isn't actually poop, and may be urinary related. She has no history of stones or calcium problems. I have been noticing white spots in the cage again, but I only started seeing that when I adopted my other two girls. I assumed it was one of them leaving the deposits.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Update: I've called my other vet and we are going in for 3pm. I'm very concerned and I want to ensure this isn't a stone as I can feel something near her urethra. I have her out with my on some light coloured fleece with hay to monitor if she pees or poops and what colour it is.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
We've just returned from the vet. Vet determined the glucosamine is fine and she doesn't have diarrhea. After doing a swab of her vulva the vet came back and said there is a LOT of bacteria in the area, more than would be expected. She is thinking Izzy has either a uterine infection or a UTI. We have been prescribed 0.2ml of 50mg/ml baytril.

The vet said if I don't see improvement within two days to take her back and we will do an ultrasound to try and determine where the fluid is coming from. She is still eating and drinking and doesn't seem to be in pain. Her vulva is quite swollen especially around her urethra and towards the top end. That was the most concerning area.

With her being on baytril, should I pick up some bene bac or a probiotic to supplement her with? The vet said to see how it goes before doing that but I'd rather be prophylactic instead of treating an emergency.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's on Baytril, I would absolutely, without question give her some sort of probiotic an hour after the Baytril. I've seen first hand with Poopy how vicious Baytril can be, and he would NOT eat on his own when he was on it. Critical Care was my best friend when he was taking that stuff. I couldn't find Bene Bac, so I bought Jamieson's Acidophilus caplets and broke them into three pieces, and ground it up mortar and pestle style and mixed it with the Critical Care. Poopy thought the CC was a treat and for some reason would eat that willingly.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I actually just got my critical care on Sunday! So just in time :rolleyes: I bought it to supplement, but I guess it's good I have it in case I have to hand feed.

Izzy has always been a great eater so I am crossing my fingers and hoping she will be okay.

I've never dealt with baytril before, I know it's fairly heavy duty.

I'm just hoping with all my heart that this isn't a uterine problem because the solution for that is a spay, and with her being so old the vet said it would be in her best interest to not go through surgery if she is comfortable. I don't know how I could ever make the decision to euthanize her.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.