Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression New Baby Boar Bullied by Older Boar?

elmarks20

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this site but have seen how helpful everyone is with answering questions and aiding in decision processes. Anyway, I have had one of my boars for about a year and a half now and he is just amazing. I recently decided that he needed a friend (even though he has shown pretty aggressive behaviors in the past) and after a pretty difficult adoption process I finally found a baby boar that was young enough for me to try to bond them. I have done intensive research online as well as speaking with rescues in my area about how to bond and what behaviors to look out for (I didn't want to go into it blind-sided and risk the health of the piggies!). Well they started off great (only showing normal dominance behaviors), but in this past week I have noticed some bullying behaviors (or at least what I believe to be bullying behaviors) that worry me. It started when I saw the older boar nip at the baby when he would get to close. So I tried giving them two of everything... two waters, two food bowls, two places for them to hide etc. It just seems very back and forth with the two of them, sometimes I'll see them cuddling whereas other times the older one will go to bite the baby. It is as if the older boar is irritated with the younger boar who is basically always following him around and chasing him etc. Also, I have noticed the older boar will pick at and bite the hair of the baby piggy (I believe its called 'barbering'). I would really like some input on what steps I should take. I do not have the space in my apartment for two separate cages so that isn't an option. I have considered surrendering the baby guinea pig to a better home where he won't be bullied (if that is the case). However, I also am concerned that if I were to give the baby piggy away to a new home, then the older piggy may get lonely and depressed. If it helps, I have had the new baby for about 2-3 weeks now. Thoughts? Suggestions?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nipping is the way adult pigs teach pups to behave. That's how the sows wean the pups. The older boar is just trying to tell the pup to back off and leave him alone.

Barbering isn't bullying, and can happen with pigs of any age. Probably the best thing you can do is to give the barbered pig a pretty close haircut in the hopes that will discourage the barber.

Everything you've described sounds perfectly normal to me. The main question I have is the size of the cage. Lack of space is major reason for guinea pig aggression, particularly among boars. If what you have is a pet store cage, it's not large enough for two pigs, and you'll have major problems when the pup hits puberty. I'd advise you to have at least 12-14 square feet set up as soon as possible so you can get them in there before the pup gets much older.

Also, if the hideys have only one door, either take them out or cut new holes in them. There should never be a place in the cage where one pig can trap another, whether it's a hidey with one door, or furniture that creates a barrier. Fleece forests are great for creating hideys where nobody gets trapped, and it also cuts down on pigs being able to see each other and be reminded they're in the mood for a squabble.

elmarks20

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much this is very helpful. Right now I have the Midwest Guinea Habitat Plus (the one with the divider) that is 8 sqft so I will get a larger one. One of the options with that cage is to tackle on another habitat to make an 'L' shape that can go in the corner of a room. What is your opinion on that?
Also, more out of curiosity, do you think that if I were to surrender the baby to a rescue, the older boar would get lonely/depressed?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think the older boar needs a companion, and I don't think the baby is in any danger. I'd leave them together.

An L-shaped cage will be OK, although the preferred arrangement for boars is wider and squarer rather than long and narrow. They need room to run without running into each other. You can look at the main page of this forum for information on cubes and coroplast cages (C&C), which can be built in any configuration, and which can be made very cheaply. There are also lots of pictures in the photo galleries.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.