Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Wheeking is making me crazy

So now that we moved all the pigs to the same floor of the house (separate rooms) they are wheeking loudly every time someone walks by and it's getting annoying. This was never a thing before we moved the ladies down to the first floor.

My question is will they settle down at some point? Is there a way to "train" them out if it? It's been a month or so since we moved them. I thought the ladies would learn the new, "food is coming" sounds and go back to reacting to just things like that but they wheek all the time and they appear to have taught my boys to do it too.

Should I not respond to them when they do it? I don't always but I thought maybe they wanted attention, so maybe I made it worse initially. I have no idea what their deal is. It is driving me a little crazy.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

Re: Wheeking is making me crazy

I sure wish I had some good advice for you because as much as we love these guys that wheeking can be nerve-racking. The only thing that I can think of is that they are feeding off of each other. I only have one pig who is very vocal and I've noticed that she will make the others start to carry on once she gets going. For me, I won't respond to them when they are yelling. I'll do a quick check to make sure everything is okay, but then I just walk out of the room and eventually everyone settles down.

I feel for you because I know how tough it is to listen to that. I'm sure it's just because all of the pigs are on the same level. Hopefully once your girls get use to the new location they will settle down. Is it possible to shut the door on the rooms where your pigs are located? Maybe if they don't see and hear people walking by they will not all start up with all the vocalizing.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe someone else will have some better ideas. In the meantime just try to ignore them. I know, easier said then done.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

I thought of closing the door but I hate to do it. Part of the point of bringing them down was so they could get more interaction. They definitely feed off each other. The girls get going and then the boys assume they must be missing something so they get going too. Hopefully they will settle down I guess.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Wheeking could also be boredom. Might need more floor/play time. Mine wheels when all she wants is playtime. Because she she always has access to food, water, and hay.

Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/748 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Mine are in my dining room, and anytime anyone walks towards the kitchen they start up. If I'm not planning to give them any food I say "No, not right now". It took a while of being consistent with saying it but they settle down right away now. It also helps to stick to a veggie routine. Their internal sense of time is amazing, mine know veggies are at 10am and 10pm and if I'm late they start wheeking.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rywen View Post
    Mine are in my dining room, and anytime anyone walks towards the kitchen they start up. If I'm not planning to give them any food I say "No, not right now". It took a while of being consistent with saying it but they settle down right away now. It also helps to stick to a veggie routine. Their internal sense of time is amazing, mine know veggies are at 10am and 10pm and if I'm late they start wheeking.
    Makes sense. I'll just give them more time to get used to the new location. Hopefully it will all work out...
    Using Tapatalk

User Tag List