Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    280 Rec'd/191 Posts

Wheeking is making me crazy

So now that we moved all the pigs to the same floor of the house (separate rooms) they are wheeking loudly every time someone walks by and it's getting annoying. This was never a thing before we moved the ladies down to the first floor.

My question is will they settle down at some point? Is there a way to "train" them out if it? It's been a month or so since we moved them. I thought the ladies would learn the new, "food is coming" sounds and go back to reacting to just things like that but they wheek all the time and they appear to have taught my boys to do it too.

Should I not respond to them when they do it? I don't always but I thought maybe they wanted attention, so maybe I made it worse initially. I have no idea what their deal is. It is driving me a little crazy.
    Using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    280 Rec'd/191 Posts

Re: Wheeking is making me crazy

I thought of closing the door but I hate to do it. Part of the point of bringing them down was so they could get more interaction. They definitely feed off each other. The girls get going and then the boys assume they must be missing something so they get going too. Hopefully they will settle down I guess.
    Using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/37 Posts

Wheeking could also be boredom. Might need more floor/play time. Mine wheels when all she wants is playtime. Because she she always has access to food, water, and hay.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    869 Rec'd/749 Posts

Mine are in my dining room, and anytime anyone walks towards the kitchen they start up. If I'm not planning to give them any food I say "No, not right now". It took a while of being consistent with saying it but they settle down right away now. It also helps to stick to a veggie routine. Their internal sense of time is amazing, mine know veggies are at 10am and 10pm and if I'm late they start wheeking.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    280 Rec'd/191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rywen View Post
    Mine are in my dining room, and anytime anyone walks towards the kitchen they start up. If I'm not planning to give them any food I say "No, not right now". It took a while of being consistent with saying it but they settle down right away now. It also helps to stick to a veggie routine. Their internal sense of time is amazing, mine know veggies are at 10am and 10pm and if I'm late they start wheeking.
    Makes sense. I'll just give them more time to get used to the new location. Hopefully it will all work out...
    Using Tapatalk

User Tag List