Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Can I use an old cage for a new cavy?

ryliem

Cavy Slave
I have a cavy, Emmett, and I'm getting him a bigger cage. I'm also getting a new cavy. I want to use Emmett's old cage (It is in very good condition) for the new cavy while he is under quarantine for a couple of weeks. If I clean it out well, can I use it or will his scent stress out the new cavy? Should I deprive Emmett of his well deserved upgrade and give the bigger cage to the new cavy?

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
personal, I'd use the smaller cage (well cleaned) for quarantine and give the bigger cage to Emmett.If the small cage is cleaned properly I'd image the old scent will wash away.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sure you can use it. Just wash it well. And ditto on giving the newcomer the smaller cage.

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
If you're getting him from a rescue, they might have an extra cage you can use for the quarrantine period. If you plan to put them together eventually you'll have to completely re-clean the new cage when you join them up! I'm too lazy for that, lol. I would try to find a temporary cage for the quarrantine and focus on having the new cage set up for them as a "new home" once you introduce them.

just my $.02 ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.