Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Scared piggy

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
After Girl died, my leftover piggy seems very nervous to be touched. She eats just fine but now her eyes are boogling out-like they do when shes scared. Im guessing having a pen mate calmed her alot. During this time before i get a pen mate-how can i calm her?

And shes always been skittish to being touched but once shes petted she likes it. Should i hold off on touching her at all though?

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
I just realized something, nike (the leftover piggy) keeps looking around the cage for something. Like franticaly. Could she be looking for Girl? Sad thought if its true.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Should i hold off on touching her at all though?

Absolutely not! She needs to be held and cuddled even more now that she is alone. Just be very tender and gentle with her and she will eventually come around. My Chip is a very high-strung, skittish boy and it has taken him 1.5 yrs to be able to relax and nap in my arms or on my lap. His brother has been totally the lap piggy since he was around 7 mos. old. Cavies are as different as we humans are.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
It's very possible that she is looking for her cage-mate. My first two pair of guinea pigs were so bonded that if I took one out for even a second the other one would wheek and just become very upset. In no way am I suggesting that this would happen to you, but when one pig passed away the other one died a month later. Of course both of my girls were well over 7 years of age so that isn't surprising.

I don't think that I would stop touching her. I'm sure having your presence around her and continuing your routine is very comforting to her. Until you can get her a new companion I would just talk quietly to her and maybe give her a few more of her favorite veggies.

Best of luck with her and I hope you can find her a new friend soon.

Goodness gracious thats a scary thing to think! Ok, ill do that. Thank you.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Absolutely not! She needs to be held and cuddled even more now that she is alone. Just be very tender and gentle with her and she will eventually come around. My Chip is a very high-strung, skittish boy and it has taken him 1.5 yrs to be able to relax and nap in my arms or on my lap. His brother has been totally the lap piggy since he was around 7 mos. old. Cavies are as different as we humans are.

I was wondering about that. That maybe now is the time to cuddle her even more. Thanks for clarifying. I will cuddle her more then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.