Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is my piggy pregnant, if so how far? If not, how sick? Urgent!

Emmy Bee

Cavy Gazer
I currently have two piggies. They have been living together for over a year and used to live with a rabbit called Starbucks. I know it can be dangerous to keep both species together but we have done it for 9 years and have had no problems, we do get the rabbits checked very regularly. This is because the rabbit was more social and used to encounter friends' rabbits in its run. Cookie and Starbucks lived happily together for 3 years. Cookie lived with her mum Millie who died at 7 years of age and Cookie didn't cope with being alone so we decided to put her with Starbucks like we used to do with other piggies and bunnies. Then I rescued Pumpkin last year. She was born around Halloween 2015, hence the name but I got her last spring. We got her from a rescue place and she was vet checked before she left, the vet said she was a girl. However, while at a checkup a couple of months ago when she stopped eating, one vet sexed her as a boy and one sexed her a a girl.

Sadly Starbucks died 6 weeks ago while I was away on business and my mum was looking after them. They were on the same food, the only difference was they were placed in an old Avery instead of their hutch. The Avery was more spacious. Now Cookie looks very pear shaped. She isn't moving much and when she gets comfy she'll stay there for an hour or two. Both of the piggies usually run around all the time. Pumpkin won't leave her side except to eat. Cookie is eating well, possibly even a bit more. She's drinking more too. She's burying herself underneath hay and straw in a dome shape. She's laying down a lot in her shelter and not really moving. She's also not letting me pick her up which she loves. She let me stroke her and her belly doesn't seems hard all over but I can't see her belly move. Could she be pregnant and Pumpkin be mis-sexed? If so how far could be guessed? Could it have anything yo do with Starbucks' death? Is it anything else?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you turned them over and compared their private parts to see if they look the same? If there's ANY question at all in your mind about whether one is a male, separate them immediately. Guinea pigs can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth, and back-to-back pregnancies are VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

Here's info on pregnancy: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.