Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions New, first time GP owner - very worried

itsthatchloe

Cavy Gazer
Hello all,

I got my two lovely boys on Monday. They're around 6-8 weeks old and so far, they've been great. They did a health check on them both when I got them and they said that they were both fine. However, I've noticed that my American, Bear, has been making this sort of huffing sound. It's not a sneeze, just a huff coming from his nose. Today, I got him out for lap time, and he has some white dusty stuff on his nose. He's eating (he's eating some lettuce/hay right now with my Abyssinian and I fed him some parsley earlier) and he's just pooped/peed on me. I'm going to the vets first thing tomorrow morning with them both, but I'm purely posting for peace of mind. Do you think it could be a URI? Should I be worried?

thank you :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be a URI, or he could have snuffled something up his nose.

Did you get them from a rescue? If so, they'll probably take care of if it is a URI.

Since you're a new GP owner, here's some recommended reading material:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

And, turn them both over and make sure their private parts look the same. We've had many a pregnant male on here because new owners took someone else's word on the sex of their pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.