Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

Re: New guinea pig owner

It will kill lice. Nits aren't usually found in the bedding, because they're STUCK to the hair shaft. Unless you put the pig in the washing machine, there won't be any nits in there. :-)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

It's just that because of the mites and such they have shed a bit and so between the two of them there is quite a bit of hair stuck to the blankets and so i was worried that if any of those hair had eggs on them if they would die in the wash or not....i tried using a sticky lint roller to get the hair off but their cage is so big and so the blanket is quite large so it was pretty much impossible to get it off.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

If the washer doesn't get them, the dryer will.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Okay thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    If the washer doesn't get them, the dryer will.
    I just had to quote this because it is a fabulous line, especially taken out of context

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Hey guys, so we bought a new large potty for our piggies so we could put their hay trough in it and they wouldn't make a mess but they seem to have grown a liking to eating the potty itself! They always chewed on the old one but not like this! They have slowly taken off large chunks bit by bit and the edges are all warped now. I did some reading about it already and most people said it was fine as long as they are eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing still which they are. People also said that they don't like plastic so once they realize what they are eating they will most likely stop, which they have not. We give them lots of hay, veggies, pellets, and a vitamin c chew tablet every day, they also have chew sticks and a wooden chew hutch so I'm not sure why they continue to eat this particular potty. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

If they can actually bite off the plastic, I'd throw the thing out. They probably can't digest the plastic, but it can have sharp points on it which can puncture their digestive tracts.

I've never had a pig stop eating plastic once it started. Some will eat it, some never even taste it, but once they eat it, they keep going.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

okay, thanks, that's what I was afraid of we've only had the thing for like a week...we keep having to throw out all their stuff because of the mites and everything, it seems like we buy them all new cage accessories every month

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

You don't have to throw out cage stuff because of mites. If you treat once a week for four weeks, you'll hit all the life cycle of the mites, and they'll die on their own. It's fungus you have to throw things away for.

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    It will kill lice. Nits aren't usually found in the bedding, because they're STUCK to the hair shaft. Unless you put the pig in the washing machine, there won't be any nits in there. :-)
    put the pig in the washing machine ..................you crack me up

11. "Thank you, lisa325, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lisa325 View Post
    put the pig in the washing machine ..................you crack me up
    occasionally that @bpatters sense of humor comes out and it's hilarious

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Hey guys its been a while! I've already looked through some of the forums and read about whats normal for poop and what is abnormal but my question is this. This morning while cleaning the cage my husband found four or five poops that were quite clumpy and looked a little bit pinched, we've never seen any poops look like this before and we checked the potty and didn't find any more. Both guinea pigs are acting normal, eating, playing, letting us pet and play with them and as far as we know they are both drinking. Is it normal to find poops like these occasionally without it being a big deal? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

Yes, perfectly normal.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

"Sharing" is quite common between guinea pigs, as one of the guinea pigs thinks that the food in the others is the best, and wants it more than the stuff in the bowl. As long as Petunia is still eating, and not losing weight, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it. The spraying is relatively normal, as a sign of dominance. They'll get over it.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Hey guys, so we had a bit of a scare and just wanted to see what you guys thought. We had to take our pigs on a 45 minute car ride back to our home after they had been getting taken care of at a friends house. Our air conditioning doesnt work and they were getting scared by the sounds of the highway so we didnt have the windows down all the way. They were both still moving around the whole drive but by the time we got home they were drooling a little bit and they were hot to the touch. We brought them inside and put them in their run around and they both just went and layed down but we offered them each some lettuce which they both took immediately and we put cold washcloths in their beds and its been about an hour now and they are eating and drinking and walking around and using their potty but we got nervous that they coukd have been suffering from heat stroke. Do you think that since they are acting normal now that the danger has passed? My husband has held them both and they are no longer breathing fast and they are not hot to the touch. Like i said they are also eating and drinking and walking around. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,596 Rec'd/1,310 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

You really dodged a bullet this time! That does indeed sound like the onset of heat stroke. This really struck a nerve with me as we had a cavy die of heat stroke and it's not a pretty sight. I'll never forget that emergency ride to the vet hospital only to be told that my boy would be blind if he survived......which he didn't.

The vet hospital had instructed us to pour alcohol on his feet as a measure to cool him down prior to transport. Enroute, we wrapped him in cold washcloths but none of the measures helped. The graphic description of what happens is that the heat denatures proteins and causes major brain and neurologic damage. Moral of the story is to be cautious with them. Remember that they are wearing fur coats so adjust the ambient temperature accordingly.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Hello everyone, we are thinking of adding either 1 or 2 new piggies to our little group and I have a question about feeding. The 2 we have now are adult females and eat adult pellets but if we get new babies how do we feed them different pellets? I don't just want to feed them all baby pellets because we don't want them to get fat, so just wondering if anyone has any tips on this. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

Feed them all timothy pellets and take the babies out of the cage once a day for some alfalfa or parsley sprigs.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Also the cage weve made is 2 by 4 cubes with a closed in ramp on the outside that leads to an upper L shaped level, is that enough room for 4 female guinea pigs?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180806_144220.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	85145this is the cage, the part that is black at the front makes up the L shape on the top

User Tag List