Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Allergic to hay

Recently, especially after our new additions, with the abundance of the Timothy hay we have to have with all of our piggies, Aaron and I realized we are allergic to it! Bummer!

i have been trying to do some research on what would be a good replacement since they obviously have to have hay. I have a feeling I am going to have to order it well in advance verses being able to go to my PetValu (we don't support Petland, and I know the manager there personally and he does rescues for guinea pigs) for Timothy hay, what does everyone recommend that is still good for the pigs but gentle on our sensitive sinuses? I'm wary. Since we lost a piggy to a flipped stomach recently I'm terrified of trying anything different, and I know Timothy hay is the most widely used. I'm sure once allergy season comes to a close for us it'll get better. But for now, we really need an alternative.

That being said, what does everyone else use when dealing with allergies?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Allergic to hay

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Magoo View Post
    Recently, especially after our new additions, with the abundance of the Timothy hay we have to have with all of our piggies, Aaron and I realized we are allergic to it! Bummer!

i have been trying to do some research on what would be a good replacement since they obviously have to have hay. I have a feeling I am going to have to order it well in advance verses being able to go to my PetValu (we don't support Petland, and I know the manager there personally and he does rescues for guinea pigs) for Timothy hay, what does everyone recommend that is still good for the pigs but gentle on our sensitive sinuses? I'm wary. Since we lost a piggy to a flipped stomach recently I'm terrified of trying anything different, and I know Timothy hay is the most widely used. I'm sure once allergy season comes to a close for us it'll get better. But for now, we really need an alternative.

That being said, what does everyone else use when dealing with allergies?
    I have VERY severe allergies to Timothy hay, which once caused a hospital visit. Of course giving away our pigs wasn't an option, and my pigs are very picky, but we decided to switch to orchard. It was a great decision as I have no allergic reactions to orchard, and the pigs love it! (I think maybe more than they did Timothy hay)

When we switched, we gradually introduced it into their diet. We would little by little mix the hays until it was all orchard. The hay does its job and we have been using it for a year so far.

I'm not an expert, but I have a lot of expirence with allergies!! Hope all goes well! And I haven't tried any others but orchard and timothy, but I know there are some others you could use

When we used timothy I avoided it as much as I could, and tried not to breath it in. Sometimes I would wear a mask! It was too much work trying to avoid the hay, because whenever I held them I'd get a rash on my arms. The best decision for us was to switch

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I haven't openly told Aaron yet, but was a kid he used to have asthma attacks. One sent him to ICU as a kid. He's had 2 asthma attack since August when his sinus cavities were reopened from oral surgery, and one was from my moms obsessive use of cigarettes and the other was essential oils I had used for anxiety.

I keep thinking if mine are this bad his has got to be. Sadly we haven't spent much time with the pigs this week due to it, so a change is needed. I'll have to look more into orchard hay. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanks
    51 Rec'd/47 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

I try to go for oaten hay as meadow hay sets me off far worse, but it depends on the time of year. Good ventilation, antihistamines and thoroughly washing my hands seconds after directly touching hay keep it manageable.

User Tag List