Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Malocclusion Issues for Past 15 months, over 12 surgeries with sedatitive

Skittles

Cavy Gazer
Hello All. My 4.5 year old boar has been having right molar issues since Feb 2016. 4 Months later he lost his front bottom teeth and they never grew back. Because of that I go to the vet every 2 weeks to have his front top teeth trimmed. 2 weeks later I go to have the top trimmed and he is put under anesthesia and his molars are reduced and spurs trimmed. He has had at least 12 surgeries (under anesthesia) the last 15 months for his molars. We have reached a point where now both sides are having molar issues and the vet thinks I should come in every 3 weeks for surgery under anesthesia. The last 4 times it has taken him at least 10 days before he starts eating on his own again and usually I have to make a visit to the vet at the 7 day mark because of weight loss and NO eating OR drinking on his own. He completely relies on me for critical care (6 times a day).

In a 4 week span this is our life
Week 1 show up for surgery
Week 2 re-visit vet for post surgery problem to be corrected (no surgery, office visit)
Week 3 re-visit vet for front teeth trim
Week 4 or 5 back for surgery

The question is, how much is enough for my little guy? Now that his condition is getting worse (both sides now), should I consider putting him down or do I keep doing what I am doing? Is this the normal protocol for guinea pigs with malocclusion problems? He has an appetite and is bright eyed but other than that he stays in his pigloo most of the day. The vet says we will keep going until he can't go anymore but I don't want to torture him. The vet is an exotic's vet and has extensive experience with guinea pigs but there always seems to be a problem after his surgery, like a tooth that did not get trimmed 100% and I either get it trimmed without sedation or I pay to have a second surgery a week later.

Thank you for any and all advice/experiences.

I live in the US if that is helpful.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I went through a similar scenario with my Chester in 2016. The Vet said he had the worst malocclusion that she had ever seen. The dental surgeries became increasingly more frequent which meant repeat anesthesia. Chester continued to lose weight until he weighed less than 2 lbs, but had that fighting spirit and never complained about his diet of Critical Care.

I loved that little man SO much that we vowed to do whatever necessary to keep him going so long as his quality of life was pretty good. I wanted him to choose when he had enough......and that's what he did. His little body finally just gave out and he died peacefully in my arms.....after a $750 vet bill that very day. In retrospect, it would have been kinder to have him euthanized about five months before he crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

Your boy is exhibiting signs of aging as well as the effects of repeat anesthesia and he is unlikely to regain his health. I understand just how difficult making a decision to have a beloved pet euthanized can be, and it's a very personal decision. It may be more humane to just let him go. Sending you and your boy thoughts and prayers of comfort.

Skittles

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for sharing your story about Chester and I am so sorry for your loss. You love them but you want to do right by them as well, it is a very difficult position to be in.

"I loved that little man SO much that we vowed to do whatever necessary to keep him going so long as his quality of life was pretty good." I totally get it and feel the same.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write and your kindness. My Skittles weighs 587 grams as of this morning. He has been able to maintain around 690 grams for many months but this last surgery really was hard on him since it was on both sides.

I have much to think about, thank you.

Isaak_92

Cavy Slave
I know exactly how you feel..My little boy spent up to 3 weeks at the vet whenever he would get his molars planed because my partner and i had full time jobs the kind nurses would look after him and feed him..

He had 4 surgeries under anesthesia and each time he woke his recovery would be longer.. After his last surgery he recovered that slowly that he wasnt able to eat on his own and it was very painful for him as struggled to chew soft foods and CC. His teeth grew back and he wouldve needed another surgery but we were afraid his little body couldnt take it. We made the hardest decision ever to put him to sleep knowing that he wouldnt be in anymore pain

Not a day goes by that i think what if but i know he is in a better place now and we tried everything we could to help him.
I know this may not help but i thought i would share my recent experience.
If your piggy is willing i would do anything.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.