Thread: Guinea pig acting strange and possibly had a seizure(?)

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Guinea pig acting strange and possibly had a seizure(?)

Hello

I own a guinea pig who is 2 years old. He's been very healthy, happy and VERY affectionate ever since I got him. However, recently he is acting really strange... He's been sleeping ALL day, being either really quiet or really loud for a day (yelling after I've already given him food, taken him out, etc., or just being completely silent for the day), not eating some of his favorite vegetables, and standing still for a long time. Yesterday I noticed he had a tiny little bald patch in front of his leg and wasn't sure what to think of it. Earlier today, he was laying completely sprawled out in his igloo and all of a sudden starting squirming around. It would kind of come in waves, where he would be laying still for a few seconds then start flopping and kicking his legs and chewing on his igloo. He stayed on his side the entire time and didn't make any noise. I reached in and starting petting him and could see that his breathing was really fast but eventually slowed down as I pet him and calmed him down. Then, I went down to my kitchen to get him some lettuce to eat to possibly cool down and he was walking around when I got back upstairs. I'm not sure what caused this, it's been pretty hot in my bedroom, could that possibly have caused it? Also, should I take him to the vet?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pig acting strange and possibly had a seizure(?)

Heat can cause neurological problems, but usually only over 85 degrees.

But yes, he needs to see a vet. That's not normal behavior, and he needs a check up. Just be sure to see an exotic vet, not a small animal vet. "Small animal" means dogs and cats, and those vets are not usually qualified to treat guinea pigs.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Does he need to be taken to the vet immediately? I don't think I'm able to take him today, and the soonest is probably tomorrow

Thanks

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    Does he need to be taken to the vet immediately? I don't think I'm able to take him today, and the soonest is probably tomorrow

Thanks

If your bedroom is hot, you need to do something for him too cool himself, if he survives this. You can lay ceramic tiles in the cage for them to lay on. Wrap frozen water bottles in fleece for them to lay next to. or if you have some extra grids bent to and zip tie them together to make a tunnel and cover, lay froze water bottles on top or ice packs( non toxic) I prefer water bottles. The cool air drops down over them. You should also run a fan to circulate the air in the room.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0715.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	82379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0678.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	82380

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarminx View Post
    If your bedroom is hot, you need to do something for him too cool himself, if he survives this. You can lay ceramic tiles in the cage for them to lay on. Wrap frozen water bottles in fleece for them to lay next to. or if you have some extra grids bent to and zip tie them together to make a tunnel and cover, lay froze water bottles on top or ice packs( non toxic) I prefer water bottles. The cool air drops down over them. You should also run a fan to circulate the air in the room.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0715.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	82379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0678.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	82380
    Thanks for the help. I'll try one of these tonight. He's just been resting in his igloo today, I closed the curtains and made sure the room was quiet for him because I read that's supposed to keep them from having a second seizure. When I go in to check up on him he gets up to check my hand but doesn't leave his igloo, and lets me pet him while he lays on his side. I've also had the fan on all day

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

How is the little guy doing now, did you manage to get him in to see the vet?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lisa325 View Post
    How is the little guy doing now, did you manage to get him in to see the vet?
    I think he's doing better, he is not sleeping all day anymore and is coming out of his igloo to get food and water pretty often.
    I haven't been able to take him into the vet because they aren't open on weekends and it's really far away. I'm going to keep a close eye on him

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

I hope the little guy is doing well now :)

User Tag List