Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Anyone use Grocery store GP pellets?

GuineaPigAussie

Cavy Slave
[h=3]Does anyone feed their gp's Grocery store GP pellets? Called Peters Lucerine Pellets 2kg for $7.37[/h][h=3]Ingredients:[/h]Wheaten Bran and Pollard, Lupins, Barley, Lucerne (5%), Clover, Lignin, Canola, Triticale, Lentils, Oats, Peas, Beans, Soya, Sunflower, Grape and products derived from those ingredients, Bentonite, Limestone, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Vitamins and Minerals.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We don't have that brand here, but they're not a good quality pellet. Hay (alfalfa for young pigs, timothy for older ones) should be the main ingredient. Hay is the fifth ingredient in that list.

They also use limestone as the calcium source, and that has proved problematic as far as bladder stones are concerned in some pigs.

GuineaPigAussie

Cavy Slave
Thanks I was wondering cause on the outside they look like the ones I see everyone else feeds but I couldn't remember what was wrong with them.

GuineaPigAussie

Cavy Slave
Then anyone use: VETAFARM CAVY ORIGINS 1.5Kg

Fescue, lucerne, oat fibre, stabilised vitamin C.

Whole grains: wheat, soybean and oats.

Vitamins: A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, D3, E, H & K

Minerals: calcium, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, sulphur and zinc

I was thinking it sounds like our local aussie version of burgess or oxbow???

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Just feed Oxbow Essentials or KMS Hayloft.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@DroidGuineaPig, the OP is in Australia. Neither of those pellets are available there.

I can't find the nutritional analysis for the Vetafarm pellets. I'd really like to know how much calcium is in them.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I don't know the exact calcium content for the Vetafarm pellets but I would be more then willing to bet it is high. The second ingredient is Lucerne which is another name for Alfalfa hay.

You can get oxbow pellets here in Australia, and honestly they are the only pellet available here that I would feed. Here is the cheapest online place that I have found to buy it (note the same store also sells burgess pellets but they are more expensive than oxbow):
https://www.petshopdirect.com.au/sh...-food-2.25kg/oxbow-rabbit-and-guinea-pig-food

They also have "bulk buy" options for 2 bags or 8 bags:
https://www.petshopdirect.com.au/sh...x-2-bulk-buy/oxbow-rabbit-and-guinea-pig-food
https://www.petshopdirect.com.au/sh...x-2-bulk-buy/oxbow-rabbit-and-guinea-pig-food

Here is another online store that sells both oxbow and burgess, the base per unit price is higher but they offer free shipping on orders over $50.
(broken link removed)

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Are the Burgess pellets OK to feed? If so, is there a 'best type'? (for example there's a 'mint' version and a 'blackcurrant and oregano' version and possibly more)
Also, is Burgess '(broken link removed)' hay OK? (Isn't dandelion quite high in calcium?)
I'm trying to find a hay that we can buy locally (Perth) that my fussy pigs like (they often leave about half of the timothy hay which is more expensive). As well as 'Dandelion and Marigold', there's 'Chamomile and Timothy Herbage' also by Burgess, and 'Birch Bark and Timothy herbage'. We used to get large boxes of soft, green Orchard Grass before MyPetWarehouse stopped selling it. :(

Thanks! :)

MyPetWarehouse link to Food and Hay
(broken link removed)

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Pet Stock does small quantities of meadow hay and oaten hay in a couple of different brands. I think it's about $10 a bag.

As for pellets, I only feed oxbow if I'm feeding them pellets at all. With decent hay available to the pigs 24/7 and veg you can do without.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I use Oxbow and Burgess. At a stretch Vetafarm...but it's the worst of the better ones by a long shot. The rest are all awful.

(broken link removed)

My guys like the mint pellets.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
The mint version has a 5% higher fibre content than the blackcurrant/oregano one. But the blackcurrant/oregano recipe seems more popular with pigs.
Both of these versions have a 4 times HIGHER vit C content than Oxbow (as well as a higher D3 & A content), so you could (should?) feed less of it, especially if the calcium source is an issue.

I would recommend it based on the other products you have mentioned, but I also have no experience with what else may available in the Australian market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.