Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Does she have mites/lice?

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
While petting one of my guinea pigs today, I noticed small black specks on her fur. My phone wouldn't focus on them, and I therefore have no pictures, so I will do my best to describe them. They are both on top of and under her fur. They are small black specks, small enough that I can't make out any form to them. I couldn't tell of they were moving or not. As far as I have noticed, there has been no excessive itching or scratching. I couldn't easily tell if my other pigs had the same thing. The only reason I spotted them on Twix (the guinea pig that I have been talking about) is because she is a sleek calico, so they stood out on her. If these were mites or lice would I be able to see them moving? Would Twix be itching herself excessively?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't see mites at all -- they're microscopic, and they burrow under the skin.

If they're lice, they'd be moving. If they're lice nits, they wouldn't be. They'd be stuck to the hair shaft, so you'd have to slide them off the end of the hair. But, nits aren't usually black, they're mostly yellowish.

If it's a loose black speck, pull some off and put a drop of water on it. Let it sit for a minute, and then stir it. If it turns red, it's dried blood from fleas. You should also be able to see them moving as well.

If it doesn't fit any of those categories, it's probably just dry skin.

Is she itching a lot?

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
She isn't itching a lot. It is not loose either. It was firmly attached to the hair. I had to use my fingernails to pull whatever it is off of a stray strand of her hair I found on her.

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
Should I give some of the Ivermectin to my other pigs too, or is it not contagious?

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
Also, wouldn't it be bothering her? I gave her a bath because she desperately needed one (before I read that that bathing them if the had lice is bad) and I haven't seen her scratching herself at all...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's bathing with mites that you don't want to do. The lice won't drive the pig nuts the way mites do when they get wet.

And yes, I'd treat them all. You'll need to give at least three treatments, each a week apart, to make sure you hit all the life cycles of the lice. I usually do four, just for good measure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.