Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bullying

Hi all, I'm relatively new to this site, but I have three female piggies and have had some trouble with bullying. My two older piggies I've had for a year and get along fine, and I have been trying to introduce my newest piggy, Yoka into the mix with little luck. One of my piggies, Nezzi has been chasing her somewhat often (not constant but a few times a day) and Yoka ends up speaking a lot. I'm not sure if she's hurt, as she is proving to be a very vocal pig and sometimes just sits there speaking loudly to herself, but I've checked her over and haven't found any injuries whatsoever. I had kept her separated by a divider for two weeks prior and the three seemed to be fine and didn't have any trouble with floor time other then a few chases. My cage is 13 square feet, and usually if they are on opposite sides they are fine, but the bullying worries me as Nezzi is quite a bit bigger than Yoka and I'm afraid that Yoka will get hurt. I've not noticed any rumble strutting or teeth chattering at Yoka either, the chase usually comes out of nowhere. My third piggy, Mocha, is just sort of indifferent to it all.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Re: Bullying

It sounds as though you haven't done introductions properly, it's better to introduce them in a neutral area at first and then just put them all together and be done with it, not have one be divided off at first. Your cage is also slightly smaller than is ideal for three girls, though not terrible.

Honestly, though, it sounds like they're fine. If you can't find any injuries, chances are Yoka just has a loud and dramatic personality. Especially since there hasn't been any teeth chattering, I don't think you have anything to worry about, in fact it sounds like they're getting along better than average, my girls chatter at each other occasionally when they annoy each other and they've lived all together for three years. The only reason you'd need to take Yoka out is if blood is drawn. Good luck!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: Bullying

Yes, I agree with Jaycriae, unless blood is drawn you can keep them together. Also watch to see if they're all eating and drinking fine. I introduced my bonded pair to a new baby guinea pig and one of my bonded girls stopped eating and drinking. She was being chased by the baby a lot and got very stressed out, hence the lack of appetite. I eventually separated the baby from my bonded pair because of that and my bonded girl starting eating and drinking again. There was no blood drawn but, in cases like these where one of them stopped eating entirely, it would be better to separate them then risk them getting sick from the stress.

User Tag List