Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Is it selfish of me to want to get rid of my piggies for these reasons?

ZebraKisses

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone.
So when I first got guinea pigs, i knew they were a lot of hard work and with school, i thought i could balance the two out.
But after 8 months of cleaning and veggies everyday, i feel stressed and sleep-depreived, trying to balance school, pigs, and me time isnt working. Ive been trying to give it a chance because ive grown so attached to them and i feel guilty and selfish for getting rid of them, because it was my choice and now they are and should be my responsibility...
I love em to death, and would absolutely worry about them everyday in their new home. They are all such special and loving pigs, i dont want to send them away to become bred to death!
Their veggies and the weekly washings are also very expensive...
It isnt decided yet, but i dont know what to do! I just feel so guilty, and how do i know they would be going off to a loving home?

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
If you do decide to rehome them you should use the Guinea Pig Zone. I think you can get there by clicking the "adoptables" tab at the top of this site. You can place a free ad and only guinea pig lovers should be looking there. A much better chance than something like craigslist anyway. Good luck to you and your piggies!

Happy Cavy

Cavy Slave
It's not selfish, your trying to make a decision best for everyone. Making a choice like this isn't easy, and I'm sorry you have to make it. I can only hope some of the ideas I have can help you in someway or at the very least point you in some direction.

Do you have any family members or friends who will love them as much as you do? This will also allow you the opportunity to let you see them and you'll have comfort knowing they're in a good home.

What kind of bedding do you use?
I saw a post on the site of someone buying extra yards of fleece. The user was able to remove one sheet and put a new sheet in, washing the old sheet later. This also makes it cheaper compared to buying bedding.

For veggies I prepare Hunters veggies at night and putting it in Tupperware. All I have to do it put it in the bowel. A win on both sides. It's easy for me and Hunter doesn't have to wait. When it comes to the expense of veggies, that's hard to give advice to. I shop around and see who has sales on veggies I know Hunter enjoys.

When it's time for Hunter to have play time, and I have to work. I sit with her, she sometimes even helps me.

nikdarg

Cavy Slave
It isn't selfish to do what you think is right for your animals. Just make sure to vet their new home so you know they will be well taken care of. If this means actually visiting where they will live and seeing the environment for yourself, all the better.

I would avoid things like craigslist for sure though.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
If you do decide to rehome them you should use the Guinea Pig Zone. I think you can get there by clicking the "adoptables" tab at the top of this site. You can place a free ad and only guinea pig lovers should be looking there. A much better chance than something like craigslist anyway. Good luck to you and your piggies!

I have never once been able to get that site to load.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have never once been able to get that site to load.
You may wish to check your security settings in your browser or something along those lines. I've never been to Guinea Pig Zone before today and it loaded no problem whatsoever. I did notice in the address bar that it does mention it's not a secure site so your browser settings may be set to ignore unsecured sites.

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
I am on a mobile phone. I'm not sure how to even find that out lol.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ah, that might have something to do with it then :)

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
No, I don't think it's selfish to get rid of them for your reasons. If you're rehoming them, please ask the people who want to adopt them a lot of questions such as, do they have experience with guinea pigs, what they would do if they couldn't keep them anymore, what type of cage they will use, and things like that. It's basically all the questions a shelter would ask you if you were adopting a pet from them.

I faced a similar situation once and asked these questions. It may seem as if I'm asking more than I should, but it's necessary if you want to make sure your guinea pigs end up in a good home. Luckily, I was able to keep my guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.