Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from the East Coast

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I am new to the world of wheekers but love to learn everything I can about proper care of critters. I have one senior kitty who is more interested in hay then he is about guinea pigs lol. I just became the proud mom of my little Luna today. She actually was a friends guinea pig that I was watching while they are on vacation. I knew they had been losing interest in her and had mentioned a while back they were trying to rehome her. Last time I visited had her cage was in the closet so their son and cat wouldn't terrorize her. She already is a skiddish little thing so I think that just made it worse. Realizing I couldn't let her go back to the closet I asked if I could adopt her and they agreed. So now she is mine :) In just the few days I've had her she has gotten more social even wheeking when I came home the other day.

Currently she is in our dining room on a 20" table so we aren't scary things looming down on her. She is a midwestern cage with pine shavings. After talking with my sister (dani_starr on this website) my husband I have agreed to build her a 2x6 C&C cage with lid that will fit perfectly along our dining room wall. Unless there are other suggestions my plan was to get a 8 ft folding table and place the cage on that. We might be adopting a dog soon so it is important we have the cage up high. I also am planning on making the cage all fleece and have a set of fleece flippers and fleece forest on the way. I know guinea pigs do better in pairs so I will be posting later asking advice on if we should get her a friend and how to do so if so.
Her diet is timothy hay, timothy pellets and a mix of leafy greens and fresh veg from the foods on the nutrition chart. I am working on building her a menu so I make sure she is getting all the nutrients she needs. I also am trying to figure out how to do out of cage time because currently she spends the time moving her hideout so she doesn't have to leave from cover. I don't want to freak her out by putting her in the open.

If anyone has any advice I will gladly take it!

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your adoption! Thank goodness you were there to get her out of that closet. Yeah, I'm sure that has made her more nervous. But, in time, she will forget about the bad and only know the good (you.) Just have patience with her ; )

For floor time, just set up a small area in your home thats big enough for you to sit in as well. Bring her hideys out too and maybe even set up another place for her to hide in as well. Spend time sitting still and quiet at first. She should start to come out and explore. Then you can begin hand feeding veggies and talking to her (saying her name often.) That usually works.

I just seen a link on here yesterday for a YouTube channel called Little Adventures. It has great videos on bonding and taming.
Good luck. East Coast Piggies Rock!

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! yay for little Luna getting a wonderful new home!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your being adopted by a new pig! (You'll find that you really ARE a piggy slave, and you won't care a bit) Sounds like you are well on your way down the path of caring for your new family member the right way.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your adoption! Thank goodness you were there to get her out of that closet. Yeah, I'm sure that has made her more nervous. But, in time, she will forget about the bad and only know the good (you.) Just have patience with her ; )

For floor time, just set up a small area in your home thats big enough for you to sit in as well. Bring her hideys out too and maybe even set up another place for her to hide in as well. Spend time sitting still and quiet at first. She should start to come out and explore. Then you can begin hand feeding veggies and talking to her (saying her name often.) That usually works.

I just seen a link on here yesterday for a YouTube channel called Little Adventures. It has great videos on bonding and taming.
Good luck. East Coast Piggies Rock!

She is getting more vocal now with me so I think she is slowly getting more comfortable. Thank you for the recommendations on the videos I will be sure to check those out. I noticed her little front nails are terribly long so as soon as possible I would like to trim at least two that are curling.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the reading material all super helpful!

Pigwig6

Cavy Gazer
I am from the east coast as well. Good luck with your baby!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.