Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Piggie fans!

Shieme

Cavy Slave
My name really isn't Shieme. That's the name of my baby guinea pig I got two weeks ago. I think I did get her from a breeder but I saw the mommy and she was really cheep so... eh. She is a sweet girl and is already double her size by reading what makes a piggie grows. I don't plan on getting her a friend nor breeding her. Should I get her fixed? Do they live longer that way? I almost have her coming into my hand and she lives in my bedroom. Yep, you got it, she doesn't bother me when I'm sleeping. But she is very active when I'm up and around. I spend most of my time in my room because I live with my mom and I draw/paint. This forum is teaching me a lot! Thank you!

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Hi Sheime! Welcome!

Keep in mind that Shieme may be pregnant. Coming from a breeders that is a possibility as guinea pigs can get pregnant right after delivering pups. There are some great resources here and on GuineaLynx that I'd suggest you have a read through of just in case.

Getting a female spayed does carry risks in the procedure however it does remove the possibility of ovarian cysts and uterine cancer later on in life which is quite common unfortunately. I haven't had a female pig done, so i can speak from experience here. Explore your options with a qualified exotics vet, make sure you ask about how many they have done and their success rates before you proceed.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
She is getting longer but I did fear that when I read females can get pregnant after five weeks and the lady said the white cavy is male. But I didn't know that was an issue till I brought her home and started reading on the net. I don't think she is but I'm feed her alfalfa hay because the lady said she was five weeks old. How long do I need to worry about that? When will I be able to tell she might be? Thanks!

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig pregnancy is roughly 63 days. It doesn't always become apparent until the last couple of weeks.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
IMG_0757.jpgDunno why it's on its side. But this is my shy little Shieme!

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
Hello! Shieme is very pretty. I just love her almost solid dark coloring. Good luck with your new piggy.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I thought I did the right thing by not going to a pet store, but a private home. I fell in love with her then after I gave her the money, she said her sister is expecting a litter. She wasn't expensive so I thought nothing of it till she said that. I loved her set up. Her piggies where in the home and the cage a nice size and very clean. Shieme is growing and she is a popcorner, so cute. I plan on getting her a CBC next year when I have tax money. She is solid chocolate brown and her eyes are the American color. I got her because I lost my dog so that's why I didn't ask questions. But I love her and she already has me wrapped around her little paw.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.