Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Wanting to play outside

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
My family and l have recently adopted a boar around 2 yrs. of age. While I do plan on finding him a buddy soon, I feel he may get bored from time to time. He's very active during floor time, and progressing well interacting with us while in his cage.
However, I would like to break up his day spending some time outside. The weather is perfect right now. I will be putting him in a pen. But, I do have a few questions.

First, should I be worried about ticks, other bugs, or use anything to prevent such contact?
Second, is a little sun okay or should he be in the shade only? (temp about 75)
I recently read about watching grass consumption and I think that's it. But feel free to add any other pertinent info with your replies. And thank you for sharing! :)

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure of what you're risk is from parasites because I'm from Aus and I'm sure it's different.
The big concerns are predators and exposure. They should be under direct supervision from you when outside to mitigate the risk from either.

My pigs like to do a little sunbaking here and there. A short lazy nap in the morning sun is easily in Winifred's top favourite activities. Make sure they can get out of the sun and into shaded areas/hides, and that they aren't getting too hot. Keep water in the shade as well.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There is another thread here, very recently, about what to do to take your pigs outside. Protection from sun, heat and predators is important. I went to take one of my boys outside last summer, early in the morning when it was cool. It was about 730. I looked out the window before I did and there was a hawk, sitting on the neighbours porch, waiting for me to bring Pooper out.

I didn't have to worry about Poopy running away, so we would just sit in the grass together while he munched. He didn't go outside again after that because I didn't have adequate protection for him. I didn't even consider hawks at the time because I live right in the middle of a fair size city, population 130000. I was mistaken.

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
Yeah I tried searching through them, but so far haven't really found all the answers I need. Figured it'd be easier to just ask. I am really worried about the little black ticks that have even gotten on my children. I live in a rural area and the decreasing severity of the winters over the years have caused an increase in population. But I'll keep searching. Guess I could google it if I cant get the answers here. Thank you

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That was the other thing that worried me was ticks. I was doing a tire change on the highway last summer and I felt something on the back of my neck. Sure enough it was a tick. I just bring my boys in a bowl of fresh hand picked (and inspected for bugs) grass indoors every few days. My pigs had never really been outside before until last spring and summer ( I do have to say that I'm so very glad that Poopy got to enjoy the outdoors several times before he passed away, he absolutely loved it)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If there are ticks in the area, I definitely wouldn't put them outside.

Pammers2169

Cavy Slave
I was wondering the same regarding ticks and fleas. I have been bringing in grass and washing it to slowly introduce it to my 8 piggies. My plan was to eventually take them outside but I started to worry about bugs. I was told about a natural repellent for ticks and fleas that could be sprayed on the lawn. I did some research and see commercial products on Amazon and home improvement stores but also some homemade recipes. I was thinking about spraying the surrounding area, outside of the play pen area if I ever do decide to try this. Has anyone ever looked at these products or tried a homemade recipe? The piggies would have fun outside but I never want to risk their health or comfort.

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
@Pammers2169 that is a good idea or something to look into anyway. If there is something natural and safe as tick/bug repellent for the yard or pig it would be worth trying. Though I would definitely want to be sure on the "safe" part!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Me personally? I would never, ever spray anything on my grass where my pigs are going to be. Not even around it, simply because I can never be sure what I'm spraying is going to be safe for my pigs. And I'd rather not find out the hard way that it isn't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.