Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece is now wicking what next...???

Willmunny

Cavy Slave
Hey, so I finally got my fleece to wick properly using bleach and detergent on a 60 wash.

I went with fleece as long term it seemed cheaper and easier after the initial set up, its also hard to get safe bedding in shops in Ireland and ordering online comes with its own issues.

Now I need to determine what to put under it, i went for puppy pads and towels as these are the easiest to access for me, I have heard uhaul pads mentioned but I live in Ireland and have no access to these, is there any better suggestions other than these two options? Im conscious of odor control too.

Im also concerned the guinea pigs will get under all these layers and move everything around causing a mess with pee and poo, does this happen a lot?

The cage is a 2x6 by the way, working out at over 7 ft.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Uhaul pads are basically the blankets that furniture removalists use. You might find a similar or same product just under a different name. They're like a thick blanket made of denim type fibres.

I have my fleece and uhaul sewn into like an inverted fitted sheet. The surface the pigs are on is fleece and uhaul, the bit that folds over the coroflute is just fleece. This stops it moving and the pigs can't get under it.

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
I use binder clips (heavy weight office paper clips) to clip the fleece to the coroplast/coroflute. I have the same cage setup as well (2x6) and I have two pieces of fleece that overlap in the middle. I put one of their hay containers right on top of this seam to prevent them from trying to dig under the fleece at the seam.

Novabean

Cavy Slave
I use cotton batting from a fabric store. It can be expensive but I only buy it when it's on sale. I went with the cotton batting because overall it will last a good long time and i think it keeps the cages dry and good odor control. I also have wood pellets under that for absorbing and I'm sure that may help with odor too. My cage is 16sq.ft.
I have read that some people place rocks or hidies strategically if their piggies dig under.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.