Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to introduce my Guinea pigs?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries

What is the best way to introduce my Guinea pigs?

I got my new Guinea pig milton almost 2 months ago and I still haven't introduced him to my older Guinea pig Leon yet. The reason why I haven't introduced them is because I'm taking safety precautions just in cause Milton isn't sick. He was showing signs of uri when I first got him. As of right now, he seems A OK. I'm just worried how I'm going to introduce them to each other because my last Guinea pig Crowley, didn't really get along with Leon towards when he got older. They liked each other at first because Crowley was only maybe a month old and Leon was 2. So crowleys dominance attitude didn't show up when he was younger. When crowley was about maybe 6 months that's why it started going down hill. They had having fights sometimes at night so I had to separate them from time to time. Crowley would bully Leon a lot and chomp his back when they got in fights. When they would have their fits I would just separate them in the night time and when it became morning, or whenever crowley cooled off, I would let them hang out with each other again. It's kinda typical male Guinea pig stuff I think. Around when crowley turned 1 Leon had enough of crowley bullying him so Leon took a big chomp behind Crowley's ear. I noticed something behind Crowley's ear I think a day or two later and found out it was infected. I cleaned it out with achol and neosporin every single day. He was fine for a week until he stopped eating and drinking so we force fed him. He just went down hill from there he eventually passed away. I miss him so much. I fear that Leon might bite Milton but that's only if Leon really doesn't like him. Milton is different from crowley. Milton is more of a skittish, energetic,calm Guinea. But crowley was more like a crazy, mean to Leon, and naugty. I didn't mind when he did bad things I just thought it was funny and matched his name Mr. King crowley. Crowley wasn't mean to me at all, he was sweet. When I introduced Leon and crowley together I did it wrong. I did put them on neutral territory, but the introducing part I didn't even do it that long at all! I only did it for an hour and then I just put them into their cage on the same day. Ugh, I did it way too fast. I wish I did more research before I got crowley. I was thinking about when I introduce milon to Leon, I wanted to give them an hour or two a day for 5 days of them seeing each other And at night I would put them into two different cages. Does anyone have any success stories on how I should make them get along? I just really want Leon to have a friend. What is the best method on introducing Guinea pigs?

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4100 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,536 Rec'd/6,022 Posts

Re: What is the best way to introduce my Guinea pigs?

You'll get much better responses to your posts if you'll break them into paragraphs and double space between the paragraphs. Most people will take a look at a wall of text and just skip it, and it makes it very hard to pick out the pertinent information that needs a response.

Here's the bible on guinea pig introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

You're only making things worse by letting them be together for short periods and then separating them. Guinea pigs are wired to establish dominance when they meet a new pig, and they do it EVERY time they're put together. So essentially, you're making them start all over from ground zero every time you do it. If you decide to introduce your two, do it at a time when you've got hours to give to it if necessary, and don't hurry the process.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Omg do you every have anything nice to say to anyone? Really now youre going to complain to me about how i wrote my thread...get a life. And I can't edit to fix it so I'm not going to write that all over again. If someone really doesn't want to read it then they're just being lazy because I didn't space it out. You're still going to read the same amount if I spaced it or not.
    Last edited by JocelynsGoobies; 04-26-17 at 09:36 am.

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4100 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,536 Rec'd/6,022 Posts

I have plenty of nice things to say to people. But it's also my responsibility to make sure people get the most out of the forum. It was a suggestion to you for you to get better responses. And yes, I'll read your posts even if they're a wall of text, but many people won't, and you'll miss out on some information they might have had to share.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries

You know what? I'm so sick of you replying every time I make a thread saying something negative all the time to me. So can you please not reply to any of my threads when I make them? There's no reason for you to give me any information anymore because I don't even want to listen to it. You couldnt even say sorry for your loss like a normal person! You only nit pick at all of the "horrible" things I've done. I hope you know not everyone is perfect, people make mistakes.

Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1200 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,647 Rec'd/1,354 Posts

And you know what?? @bpatters is the Administrator of this forum and as such has every right to critique your posts......and those of the rest of us too. You know the saying, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". Here that means that if you can't take constructive criticism, then don't come on the Forum asking questions. You may not always get what you want to hear, but try to take it and learn from it. Getting an attitude certainly won't win any friends here and will cause people to be less likely to help you.

And, she's absolutely right.....I gave up trying to read your post after the first three sentences.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    And you know what?? @bpatters is the Administrator of this forum and as such has every right to critique your posts......and those of the rest of us too. You know the saying, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". Here that means that if you can't take constructive criticism, then don't come on the Forum asking questions. You may not always get what you want to hear, but try to take it and learn from it. Getting an attitude certainly won't win any friends here and will cause people to be less likely to help you.

And, she's absolutely right.....I gave up trying to read your post after the first three sentences.
    That last part... same. Not to mention that @bpatters answered your original question quite well.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is not constructive criticism this is just being rude for no reason. And first of all this conversation had nothing to do with you spy, this was only about me and bpatters. That's so stupid that you gave up reading it being it looked too long... It would be the same amount of words being read spaced out.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries

I give up going on this 10 year old not updated website because everyone is not very helpful at all. They just nit pick how horrible of a owner you are. If I did listen to your advise, I would be wasting so much money going to he vet because my Guinea pig has a little sniffle. Non of you guys really answered my question in the first place. My main question was what is the best way to introduce my Guinea pigs but you guys couldn't even anwer that! All you care about is that my thread was too long boo hoo!

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4100 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,536 Rec'd/6,022 Posts

Actually, I did give you a link to the best article on the internet about how to introduce pigs.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exactly I asked how YOU did not some article

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

I'm new here, and I hesitate to comment as to not offend. But if you're ever on any forum you will be given the same advice @bpatters gave you. It's really great advice, and should you choose to follow it, you will have more people read your post all the way through. It's not at all being rude to point that out. I've seen it pointed out so many times over the years on sports forums, parenting forums, etc.

When I come across a post that is long with no indentions I click away. I mean nothing rude to the original poster by not reading the thread. It's just that it hurts my eyes and makes them watery--so I stop reading and move on. Anywho, sorry to chime in, but I wanted to back up the constructive criticism because it really is true! It was meant from a place of helpful advice going forward.

Best of luck with your piggies!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts

Actually, that article is extremely helpful. I followed the advice given there just recently when I introduced a new baby pig to my 15 month old pig, and was very happy with the outcome, they're now living together peacefully.
    Personally, I find bpatters knowledge and advice to be invaluable, and consider her to be a great asset to this forum, she has helped me on many occasions and for that I will always be grateful.

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4100 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,536 Rec'd/6,022 Posts

@JocelynsGoobies, that article is well written, well thought out, and was authored by someone with a LOT of experience in introducing pigs. Hundreds of users of this forum have followed that advice, and have indicated how helpful they thought it was.

Do you realize that you're asking people to use their time to reinvent a very good wheel? The fact that something has been recently typed in response to your question doesn't make it one whit better than something that's tried, tested, and proven to work.

Some things about guinea pig care change -- foods have new formulations, new medicines are found to be helpful, old medicines are found to be not helpful, etc. Those are the kinds of things that need new answers, and we try to keep up with those. But how to put two guinea pigs together is not on the cutting edge of guinea pig care. People who answer questions on this forum donate their time. They don't want to waste it with issues that don't need new answers.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just read the Guinea Bible thing and I didn't really like the way that lady introduced them. I don't want them to be in the same cage the first day they meet each other. I did that with crowley and Leon, and I feel like I took things way too fast. I think the first day when I introduce them I'm going to do it for a couple hours but they won't be in the same cage that day. I'm going to introduce them an hour a day for 4 days. Also, I've seen lots of people write on here asking how to introduce guineas to each other, it's not wasting time. I'm not the only one that's ever asked this question. Are you saying my question isn't good enough now??

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

@JocelynsGoobies... You forgot to separate your sentences LOL, I'm just kidding. I had no issue reading your original post nor do I think your question is redundant, or a waste (no question is). I'm not able to give you advice on how to introduce your piggies, because I'm still learning myself. But my veterinary provided me this interesting article that I plan to try from Blue Cross (https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-adv...ce-guinea-pigs). I haven't researched bpatters link yet to make a comparison. No question should be a "waste of time" and if a member doesn't want to answer it, they don't have to. Daily, new members join some experienced, some not. Perhaps one can provide new insight. To say a question is a waste of time is just flat out wrong. So is criticism on how someone types a paragraph or two..

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4100 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,536 Rec'd/6,022 Posts

Your question is fine, @JocelynsGoobies. But you got exactly the same answer that every gets who asks that question. You just didn't like the answer.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't like it when YOU answer it. Everyone else is fine.

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4100 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,536 Rec'd/6,022 Posts

Sorry. You don't get to choose who answers anyone's posts.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fine then I'll just ignore you.

User Tag List