Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Bonding males?

isla02w

Cavy Gazer
I am considering adopting a 10 month old male guinea pig and two 6 month old bonded males?
Is this a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JocelynsGoobies

Cavy Slave
Yeah as long as they're bonded everything should be fine :)

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
wait thought, she's talking about getting THREE total - two bonded males and adding a third.

I have two males, and in doing research, read that getting three to get along can be tough. I hope others chime in here with more information. Also editing to add: my local adoption place is willing to do "meet and greets" to let the pigs meet, and they said that even after I get one home if they stop getting along I can try a different pig. You may want to check into it so you can find the right "third" pig to add to the bonded pair.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yeah as long as they're bonded everything should be fine :)

Hey Jocelyn, How many male trios do you have experience with that have lived together for longer than 6 months?

It is my very strong advice to NOT attempt to add a third male. While TWO males can get along just fine, 3 not so much. It's my experience -- which is very significant -- that the odds of 3 males getting along is 10% at best.

Especially to be avoided with the age of males you are currently referring to.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have to agree with CavySpirit. When Pooper passed away, I brought home two baby boys, just three weeks old, so that Sly would have company and he could heal. Sly is a senior and he made an amazing Big Poppa Pig to those baby boys, right until they turned around six months old. Scooter was fine, but Punkin turned on Sly. Punkin and Scooter are both VERY bonded, so I separated Sly in his own big pen and cage, where he could see, smell, and talk to the babies, but Punkin couldn't hurt him any more. Their pens are basically separated by just grids and they can stand at the grids and posture and whatnot all day long, and since I've done that, Sly is the happiest and most active I've seen him in some time.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@isla02w, it's a terrible idea. You may very well wind up with three solo pigs, none of which will live with any other pig.

We never recommend that anyone put three male pigs together. A very, very few people have managed it, or have managed larger herds, but with LOTS and LOTS of room. Like whole rooms in a house.

If I were you, I'd take just the bonded pair, and let someone else have the singleton.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.