Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Question Friends For Snickers

I've Recently Decided On Adopting 2 Sows For My 3 Year Old Boar, Snickers. I'll Be Expanding My Cage So The Size Won't Be An Issue. Snickers Is On His Own Right Now After We Lost His Brother About 3 Weeks Ago. I Was Hoping To Get The Girls Around The End Of Next Month (And Snickers Is Neutered BTW). Also, I Have A Few Questions...
    • 2 Bonded Sows? Should I Get Already Bonded Sows OR Get 2 Unfamiliar Sows So Nobody Knows Each Other?
    • Sows Splitting Up? I've Heard Of People Having 2 Pigs And Introducing 1 More And The Pair Splits Up. Could That Possibly Happen To My Females?
    • Fighting? Snickers Was Always The Dominant Piggie, So Would He and The Girls Get In Fights Over This?
    • Introducing To New Cage All At Once? I'm Almost Positive I'm Going To Build The New Cage (Maybe 2*5 With A Loft That's 2*2). So Should I Introduce The Pigs, THEN Put All 3 In The New Cage So It's New To Snickers As Well? (Snickers Is In A 2*4 Right Now) Or Give Snickers The New Cage Like 2 Weeks Before And Simply Rearrange The Cage After The Introduction.

Thanks In Advance!

Thanks
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/432 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

Re: Friends For Snickers

It doesn't make much of a difference if the sows are already bonded or not. When introducing new guinea pigs the old hierarchy goes out the window so they will essentially start from scratch, but it does help to know that the girls are compatible (as in one is content with being submissive) so you don't end up with three dominant guinea pigs fighting it out.

It is possible to end up with three solo guinea pigs from any attempted trio, but this is really more of a boar issue than a sow issue, if two sows were already getting along it is incredibly rare for the submissive one to challenge the dominant one (but it is a different story for boar pairs). If the introduction is a failure and then the third guinea pig is removed the sows almost always come to exactly the same dominance agreement they originally had before the attempted introduction of a third.

Yes it is possible for Snickers and the dominant girl from the pair to get into disagreement about who is boss, but generally boars are more happy to submit to a girl then they would be to submit to another boy.

I would say it is better to have the cage be new to all three, if you put Snickers in the cage beforehand you would need to fully neutralize the cage during introductions as the adjustment period is smoother if the cage is neutral territory for everyone. If you need to place Snickers into the new cage before the introductions you would need to fully clean it to remove his scent before putting everyone back into it after introductions (I usually neutralize a cage by wiping everything down with a vinegar water solution, grids and all, and doing a full bedding/hidey house change).

3. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thank You! My Plan Is To Build The Cage Next Week, And NOT Put Snickers In It Yet. Then, At The End Of This Month (So I've Got The Whole Summer To Watch Them), I'll Get 2 Sows. I'll Try Introducing All Three... If It Fails, Iv'e Got A Backup Cage I Know To Not Separate Unless There's Blood, And That They Will Probably Fight For A While To Establish Dominance. Is There Anything I'm Missing? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

UPDATE So... Turns Out Snickers Is NOT Neutered. There Goes The Sows But, I Found A Male Abyssinian Named Otis, And He's Arriving To The Rescue Tonight. I've Been Watching Him For Probably A Week And So I've Talked To The People And They Said If He Checks Out OK We'll Pick Him Up Tomorrow! I Think I Will Eventually Get Snickers AND Otis Neutered, But Not For A Couple Of Mounts.

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePiggiePlace View Post
    UPDATE So... Turns Out Snickers Is NOT Neutered. There Goes The Sows But, I Found A Male Abyssinian Named Otis, And He's Arriving To The Rescue Tonight. I've Been Watching Him For Probably A Week And So I've Talked To The People And They Said If He Checks Out OK We'll Pick Him Up Tomorrow! I Think I Will Eventually Get Snickers AND Otis Neutered, But Not For A Couple Of Mounts.
    But Not For A Couple Of Mounts.? That, honestly, is one of the funniest typos I've seen in a while, especially when speaking of neutering boars.

7. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

@Guinea Pig Papa Ha! MONTHS!

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

So... We Picked Up Otis About An Hour Ago... Right Now We've Got Snickers And Otis Out On The Floor, With Hay In The Middle And A Tunnel. They've Been Doing Good So Far, I Don't Really Know What Else To Say. Fingers Crossed!

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Its Been About Another Hour And A Half And I Don't Know If It's Going Good Or Bad :l There Has Been No Fighting, But Otis Has Just Been Sitting In The Tunnel For Like The Last 45 min. Snickers Will Go By The Openings And Do A Low Rumbling Noise. Is This OK? If So We'll Put 'em Back In The Cage In Like 20 Minutes.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,331 Rec'd/5,843 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Get rid of the tunnel, and any other hidey that will allow a pig to get trapped inside. Fleece forests are great for block one pig's view of another one, but not allowing anybody to be trapped.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

OK, @bpatters Tunnels Gone. Anything Else? Can I Put Them In The Cage?

Thanks
    Thanks
    26 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

well, how did it go?! hope they are all getting along ok! you should expect humping to go on for a few weeks, rumblestrutting goes on even longer and it's all perfectly normal as long as they aren't fighting and drawing blood.

Also - why would you get them neutered if you now have a pair of male pigs?

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePiggiePlace View Post
    @Guinea Pig Papa Ha! MONTHS!
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. How did introductions go?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

It Went Great I Think! Today There Has Been Little To No Rumblestrutting And I Think They Are Getting Along Good. Yesterday There Was No Fights Bad Enough To Have To Interfere (No Blood Drawn I Mean) And We've Been Watching Them And Still, They Seem Peaceful. We Let Them Run Around Together Today And They Acted Normal, Other Than They Rumblestruted For Like 4 Seconds. So Far So Good! Here's A Pic Of Otis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20170528_23_01_16_Pro.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	82514  

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

UPDATE A Bit Ago I Spotted A Small Cut/Scratch Above Snickers Lip. You Could Tell I'd Been Bleeding . Does This Mean I Should Separate Them? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,331 Rec'd/5,843 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

No, you shouldn't. But how large is their cage? Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression, and if they don't have enough room, injuries like this will occur again.

Facial injuries are also often the result of one pig trapping another. If you've got an hideys with only door, either get rid of them or cut another door. Check the cage to make sure a pig can't get trapped behind heavy logs, or under a ramp.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Sorry It Took Me A Little While To Reply! The Cage Is A 2*5 With A 2*2 Loft, Is That Big Enough? Yes, Actually Both Hideys Only Have One Door One Is A Purple Pigloo So I Can Easily Just Cut Another Hole In That, But The Other One Is A Heavy Tree Trunk Shaped House, And I Couldn't Put Another Door In That. Should I Take It Out Or Keep It? I Heard It's Best They Each Have Their Own. But I Am Expecting A Big House With 3 Entrances To Come In The Mail Next Week, Along With A Tunnel And Some Chews

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,331 Rec'd/5,843 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Take out anything with only one door -- it's just an invitation for some pig to get its face slashed.

User Tag List