Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites New Pig Incubation Period

Mamapiggie

Cavy Slave
Hi All,

We got a new pig--Lola. Lola is currently in her own cage b/c I haven't introduced her to Maddie yet. I'm pretty positive Lola has mites. She is showing all the symptoms. And I'm the worst, b/c I bathed her when we got her not knowing that it aggravates mites or that she might have them. :-(

Here's my question:I have read the sticky thread and ordered the solution from amazon of Invermectin. I'm hoping it'll be here Tuesday. Once I treat her with that, how long should I wait to introduce her to Maddie to ensure the mites have gone?

Maddie herself had a ringworm when we got her (we couldn't decide if it was mites or ringworm so we treated for both). It was ringworm b/c low and behold my daughter and I got ringworms--my daughter had three pop up. Anywho, since Maddie is now healed, I really want her staying healthy. The kids are so ready for the pigs to meet one another, but I want to do it when it is safe and good health.

Thank you for any help!

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
If it were me, I would be treating both of them for mites right now. Even though Maddie hasn't shown symptoms. When you introduce pigs there is an element of stress, stress equals lower immune system and therefore more susceptible to parasites (mites).
I would be holding off the introduction until Lola stops showing mites activity.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd go ahead and treat them both for mites. But the recommended quarantine period is three weeks -- almost all disease that guinea pigs can get will no longer be contagious after that time.

Mamapiggie

Cavy Slave
Thank you both. Now she seems totally fine. I'm overly sensitive to skin issues after dealing with Maddie's ringworm, so I almost think I was looking for something.

One day the new piggie, Lola, was biting her hair and wouldn't stop scratching. I sat there talking to her while watching her for a good 5 minutes do this non-stop. I then assumed that she must have mites upon reading more about it. Now that was 3 days ago and I haven't seen her even scratch once...weird. So I honestly have no clue if she's fine or not.

The solution from amazon is arriving Tuesday so I'll just keep an eye on her until then. For Maddie's treatment she got a dose of revolution from vet twice (month apart) and we did baths for ringworm spores and topical cream to where she lost her hair. She healed up quickly! I'm rambling...thank you both!

Mamapiggie

Cavy Slave
Update: I decided Lola didn't have mites bc I really haven't observed much if any itching since the one day she itched a lot. I've spent a lot of time with her so I felt comfortable in my assessment.

Since she is young I followed advice I read on another forum and decided to introduce my girls yesterday then put them in their new home. Well they are getting along great. It's thrilling and adorable to watch. I'm having so much fun just observing them although Lola is still scared to death of me. While Maddie loves attention and affection.

Well today while watching the girls they both scratched a lot. Maddie has a course Abby coat so it's not noticeable if she bites her fur but with Lola's soft, short coat when she bites her back the hair will stick up a few secs with wetness from the bite. No hair loss so far. I'm clearly paranoid about mites and we do have the invermectim at our house now. So if I end up using it I see that I treat the bedding as usual and just wash. Is that everyday for a week or just day one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How much do they weigh? You can't treat a pig less than 350 grams with ivermectin -- you'll have to use kitten Revolution.

Mamapiggie

Cavy Slave
How much do they weigh? You can't treat a pig less than 350 grams with ivermectin -- you'll have to use kitten Revolution.

I know...I've read that on here--good point! I've actually not weighed the new one here, so I wouldn't jump to conclude that she's the right weight yet. Maddie is definitely over the correct weight. I can't remember her weight off hand but within a month she had doubled her weight at the vet. I need to buy a food scale to be able to do this at home. Originally when she was treated (even though it ended up being ringworm) it was with Revolution at vet. Again, I think I'm paranoid and everyone is fine, but I want to be prepared.

If I get to the point that I see it is for sure an itch problem I will proceed with weight first. Then to bedding (again, I just want to be prepared if this happens) do I wash just once or daily until cleared?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just wash as usual.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I would still move forward with treating them. Definitely Maddie who is the appropriate weight. If/when Lola is the right weight I'd do it again.
Better to make sure you nip this problem before it becomes a bigger issue.

Mamapiggie

Cavy Slave
I would still move forward with treating them. Definitely Maddie who is the appropriate weight. If/when Lola is the right weight I'd do it again.
Better to make sure you nip this problem before it becomes a bigger issue.

Good advice. If it won't hurt them (Maddie at least) then I assume there's no issue in moving forward. Tnk you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.