Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Question about temporary travel carrier

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
I am taking my 2 piggies to the vet on Monday both because they haven't been since I got them and because one of them seems to have either sneezes or a cough. I say either/or because I've never heard what either sound sounds like really.

I will have to drive at least 30 minutes each way to get to the vets. The only thing I have that I can think to use to transport them in is a soft sided cat carrier. It has mesh on one side and one end. It is new so there are no holes or anything in it.

Am I inviting disaster and possible runaway behavior by using this carrier? Would this be large enough to put the 2 cagemates in or should they be separate because of travel anxieties? Any input would be awesome.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they don't squabble in the cage, they'll be fine together in the cat carrier. Usually the terror of the car is enough to make them suspend hostilities.

But you can also cut a lot of holes in a cardboard box and put them in there if you think the cat carrier isn't large enough.

teresaintx

Cavy Slave
Thanks bpatters! I think it is large enough but wasn't sure if the smaller than cage space would calm bickering or make it worse. I also wasn't sure if they could/would try to chew through the mesh part of the carrier.

LOL That is all I would need is 2 frightened guinea pigs loose in my car.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I have a mesh sided carrier that works great! Never had a pig try to chew through!

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Even my trio of buns prefer to travel on top of one another rather than separated to comfortable spacing... The lilac bun (Randolf) at the front is the nervous traveller.

IMG_20161023_141435.jpg

jrv4babies

Cavy Slave
I always put my guinea pigs in a laundry basket with a towel in the bottom and off we go. Granted I usually have about a 15 minute drive, but still. Often I put a toilet paper tube stuffed with hay in with them but not always. They don't generally care about eating while under the stress of traveling anyway. I typically put a hide/cardboard tube in there and that's where they'll be.

They go right on the front seat next to me, I seat belt in the laundry basket so it won't slide or tip. we probably do this 5-6 times a year. It's not like they are going to jump out.

incidentally, my girls have bickered a couple times in the past if I put a hide in the cage that does not have two ways out and one can block the other etc. but we've never had a problem while traveling. I agree with the others, they are too stressed and want to pile on top of each other for comfort at that point, they are not worrying about turf wars.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.